Has lung cancer matasticized into liver and larynx. Has stopped chemo treatment. Feet are swollen and loosing weight

My father has lung cancer that has matasticized into his liver and larynix. His oncologist has stopped chemo treatment. His feet are very swollen....his is losing weight rapidly....he sleeps often....he has hopice care in my parents home....can you tell us what to expect next and how long he may have to live?
Posted Sat, 24 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 5 hours later
Very sorry to learn that your father is suffering from stage 4 lung cancer.
Medically speaking the 5 year survival rate is just 1% with stage 4 lung cancer and the median survival rate is just 8 months and this becomes just 2-4 months if the person is not taking any treatment.
Median survival rate means that half of the people are still there after this time while other half have passed away.
However the fact is that no statistics can tell you what will happen to you.Every body's cancer is unique.The same type of cancer can grow at different rates in different people and more over it also depends upon the physical and mental fitness of a person also.
Better mental and physical fitness can make you live longer than the average statistics.
At this stage you should think about giving all your love,attention and affection to him.Give him your maximum time and make his last days and last journey peaceful and happy.
May god bless you and your father.
You are most welcome to revert to me for any further query,
Best of luck