Has fever, chills, achiness and loss of appetite. Tylenol and ibuprofen helps. Underlying cause?

My 22 year old daughter has had a mild fever for 5 days now. It started with chills, fever and achiness. She had a bit of sneezing, and I think she sounds "nasal", but she says her air passages are clear. The fever has never gone over 100.6, and Tylenol or Ibuprofen brings it down to normal, but it just keeps hanging on. She hasn't much appetite, either. Could this be a virus? She's getting fed up w/the fever. This girl is rarely sick, so this is bugging us both!
Posted Sat, 10 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 1 hour later

All the symptoms indicates that it is mostly Viral infection.

Nasal congestion is also a presenting feature of viral infection.
Antihistamines will help in controlling nasal congestion.

It may take upto a week for the symptoms to improve.

She may need

1. Adequate rest.

2. Plenty of oral fluids(To regulate the body temperature)

3. Antipyretic to control fever.

Hope the answer helps you.
Pleased to answer other queries.

Follow-up: Has fever, chills, achiness and loss of appetite. Tylenol and ibuprofen helps. Underlying cause? 20 hours later
My daughter's temp was normal this a.m., has been feeling better, more appetite, but this afternoon, temp back to 100. This is day six. Things do seem better, but still the fever hangs on. If fever still around tomorrow, should we investigate further? She hadn't taken anything for fever since 10:30 last night, until it went up again this afternoon.
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 6 hours later

Any persistent fever for more than 3 days and not responding to usual treatment needs to be investigated. In such a case, she may need to undergo the following tests.
1. Complete blood Count(CBC)
2. Peripheral Smear test.
3. Widal test
4. Blood culture.
5. Urine routine

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.