Has fever and cough. There is congestion in chest. Vomited feeling. No temperature. What to do?

Feb 2013

Regarding my 1 year 4 month kid, he has fever and cough , shown him to the doctor and he says there is congestion in the right chest and suspects that there is a foriegn object lodged in there. We tried to give him milk, now he has vomitted while feeding. Under arm temp is arround 98.5
Posted Fri, 30 Aug 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 30 minutes later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

If the doctor is suspecting any foreign object lodgment in the right lung or bronchus, it should be confirmed by doing investigations like chest X XXXXXXX and virtual bronchoscopy which is a type of CT Scan chest.

If the evaluation confirms the presence of foreign body, it should be removed by bronchoscopy under anesthesia.

For this the child needs hospitalization.

Be careful in giving milk. If he has vomitings, anti emetic drug like ondansetron can be given in prescribed dose to control the vomitings.

Consult the pediatrician for hospitalization and further evaluation for the confirmation of presence of foreign body and referral to a pediatric pulmonologist.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.