Has dilated renal pelvis, ureter dilation and renal cortex thinning. Is it something serious?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
My wife has renal dilation with an AP renal pelvis of about 9.5. Should she be worried?.The left kidney measures 11cm the right 9.5. A dilated uretaris is visible measuring 11mm.there is significant thinning of the renal cortex on the right.
Posted Wed, 1 May 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 2 hours later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for your querry.
Kindey size is normal for her age.10 mm in diameter is considered as mildly dilated renal pelvis and ureter dilatation is significant. Renal cortex thinning is usualy finding in her age and this is XXXXXXX of kidney atrophy.
This isnt something serious and kidney function shouldnt be very affected.
The most common causes of such finding is ureteric obstruction caused by stone, chronic inflammation, tumours or functional disorders.
You should check her creatinin and ureal levels,this tells us about kidney function. If she has symptoms such as legs swelling, pain in lumbar area or ureteral colics then the exact cause of dilatation should be investigated by urography or CT scan. Till that she should be well hydrated, drink enough water and teas and avoid alcohol and high protein food.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help