Has been using nuvaring, can it be re-used effectively?

hi my sister has the nuva ring and can no longer afford it she was gonna use the same one she has again will it work or will she get pregnant and how long could you use them before before they no longer work
Posted Tue, 13 Aug 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 6 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your questions.

The nuvaring has a combination of estrogen and progesterone. They release their hormone in a daily, predictable manner. At the end of three weeks, they are no longer considered reliable at preventing pregnancy. To just re-use the same ring is NOT a good idea. She needs to use condoms until she can get a new ring.

I hope that this helps!
Follow-up: Has been using nuvaring, can it be re-used effectively? 6 minutes later
okay thank you I told her it wasn't a good idea!
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 0 minute later
That is correct - thank you for the question. Please feel free to ask for me directly in the future - Dr. Raichle