Has anorexia. Has severe stomach aches after meal. Cause and treatment?

a very close friend has anorexia for 2 years now. She has decided to correct things and is taking steps to eat and not to throw up. However she has severe stomach aches and nausea after each meal. She tries to keep it down and she succeeds most of the time but spends at least 2 hours in agonizing pain. What might be her problem? thank you
Posted Mon, 21 Oct 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Needs evaluation.

Detailed Answer:

Dear Madam,

Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Well looking into your problem , I would like to tell you that in patients having anorexia this problem can two fold .

One it can be a behavioural symptom pertaining to disease which can be likely cause .

Other it can be possible that some disease is leading to this for which evaluation is required . I advise you to see a gastroenterologist and get a USG abdomen and upper GI endoscopy done to look for any disease going on .

Only after ascertaining the cause further treatment and advise can be done .

Dr. Shruti
Follow-up: Has anorexia. Has severe stomach aches after meal. Cause and treatment? 12 minutes later
agreed. however which are the most probable or common causes of this problem statistically.
Also, would it be possible that permanent damage has been done or is it reversible?
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be behavioural.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam,

In my opinion it is most likely behavioural because in such patients these type of patterns are very common .

Dr. Shruti