Has Stevens Johnson disease. Was given a Xanax under tongue to have MRI. Is not able to stay awake?

My mother was given a xanxa under her tongue so she could have MRI done. She was given it around 2:45 yesterday afternoon but she has the XXXXXXX XXXXXXX Disease. She has been really out of it and can't stay awake.
Are you able to reply here on this website or by email. I've not received any answer on either
Posted Tue, 25 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Imraan Hussain 2 hours later

Thanks for your query
Its sad to listen all that and I can feel your concerns.
Patients with XXXXXXX Jhonsons disease have more tendency to hypersensitivity and sever adverse affects , when given such drugs.

Xanxa can induce sleep for quite a longer period of time , usually more than a day, and patient remain drowsy thereafter.

She should be started with immunomodulator drugs along with intravenous immunoglobulin after consulting your physician.

Keep monitoring her hydration status and observe respiratory rate and heart rate 2 hourly.
Adequate hydration will help excreting this drug out .

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help