Has RSV. Gets pneumonia, chronic coughs, chronic upper respiratory infection. Possibly SCID, Leukimia?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Hi. My daughter is 15 months old. She is sick all.the.time. She had RSV and we almost lost her when she was 5 weeks old. She has had about 10-12 ear infections, she gets pnemonia, chronic coughs, chronic upper respiratory infections. She gets put on amoxacillan and then usually gets augmentin b/c the other one wont work. She will be better for about 1 week and than it hits again. She hast gained any weight in about 4 months and her appetite is not normal, maybe 1/2 a yogurt for breakfast, 2 or 3 crackers and apllesauce for lunch. I also have a 3 and 5 year old and they are not ever sick like this. This morning we went back to the Dr, he said he thinks she needs to be checked for a few things.she went for an xray to chek for pnemonia and had blood work done to check for immune diseases. What are the possiblities? SCID? Leukimia? Asthma? I would love some feedback or answers on this. thank you
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later

According to studies, 50% of children suffering from recurrent respiratory infections are normal but others may have.

1.some atopy or allergy (30%) causing asthma, bronchitis, hyperreactive airways.
2.A chronic disease (10%) like congenital heart disease, gastroesophageal reflux and chronic aspiration etc or
3.Some immunodeficiency(10%) either primary or congenital or secondary like malignancy etc
So all of these are possibilities and a confirmation of the diagnosis with complete physical examination as well as blood tests, xrays etc.

According to the age and history of past illnesses , the presence of chronic ilness or immunodeficiency can be the most probable diagnoses. Since asthma usually has other pointers of allergic rhinitis, sinusitis etc. Primary immunodeficiency disorders usually present between 7_12 mths and runs in families.

Chronic illness or heart defects can cause all the mentioned symptoms and can be picked up by your pediatrician on auscultation and examination

Your doctor is right in ordering the tests since the persistent or recurrent infections can significantly decrease the growth and development of your child.
Meanwhile you should improve the childs nutrition by giving wholesome homemade meals with vegetables, fruits and plenty of water/ fluids. This prevents dehydration, and anemia/ vitamin

If the cause is evident then your doctor can further manage the illness accordingly.If cause remains undiagnosed then most likely it is part of development and as your child's age and immunity increase they are likely to resolve.

Hope I have answered your query. Please write back if you have any further queries.