Has Polycystic kidney problem and taking medication. Family history of same. Further?

My Brother has Polycystic kidney problem and he is taking medication from last 6 years. His mother also had the same problem.

which way we have to go ?
we go for dialysis or transplant ?
Posted Wed, 11 Sep 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Sree Bhushan Raju 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
ADPKD is an autosomal dominant

Detailed Answer:

ADPKD is an autosomal dominant (* means high chances that sibling gets affected) disease. As you have mentioned that the patient is your brother, the chances of you having it also should be addressed.

As he is already on dialysis, he can be continued on HD and maintained well on HD. He can go for transplant but as every one gets affected, there will be no one who can donate a kidney in his family. He can go for government-based authorization committee based unrelated transplant in the respective state.

He should go for three times a week Hd and should be on good BP control and maintain a proper fluid and salt balance. Some times an acute component also can suddenly deteriorate his kidney function and a few sessions of HD will make it recover so that he be withdrawn temporarily from dialysis. In order to tell you that whenther he has a condition like this, we require to get lt clinical details. Meanwhile he can be continued on good HD and maintain good nutruition
Follow-up: Has Polycystic kidney problem and taking medication. Family history of same. Further? 14 hours later
He is my cousin not my real brother. Yesterday he went for dialysis and come to home at 11 pm after that he is having severe pain in his lower back even he is unable to move. Can you please suggest what we need to do ?
Answered by Dr. Sree Bhushan Raju 23 hours later
Brief Answer:
Pain in ADPKD

Detailed Answer:
Cyst in the kidneys can get swollen due to infections or/and haemorrhage (bleeding). And when ever the cyst is swollen, it can produce severe pain.

At this point of time, it is worthwhile to check ultrasound abdomen to see whether there is any bleeding within the cyst. During hemodialysis, he would have received "Heparin" to prevent clotting with in the blood circuit. This can increase chances of bleeding. Therefore talk to his doctor and if he agree, he should undergo ultrasound scan.

If pain is severe, he can take anti spasmodic drug to get relief. But I would push for ultrasound scan than looking for pain releif.

Otherwise, ADPKD patients get severe low back ache due to large kidneys pressing on the back musckles. Here, the pain is not acute; but slowly increasing constant pain.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you need clarifications.