Has Atrial fibrillation, blueish skin, high BP, decreased appetite, weight loss and diarrhea. Had Cancer polyp removed

My father is 81 he does not let me go to the Dr with him. He has A-fib. Pale to blueish skin at times wakes up with real high blood presure decreased appetite fatigue weight loss and diarrhea. A month ago they found a large cancer polyp which they removed. I live 88 miles from him and own my own business which is the reason he won't tell me anything but I am afraid he will die alone and I don't want that.
Posted Tue, 3 Sep 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Spend time with him & make him feel free wit you

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXX, Thanks for using XXXXXXX

I can understand your concern and problem.

At the age of 81 with all these co morbidities and since no one is with him now, I advice you to make some arrangements at your area to get him to stay with you or you can make some arrangement for some person to stay with him.

Decreased appetite, fatigue and weight loss may be due to his age, illness and loneliness. He can take nutritional supplements like Ensure along with regular food to get enough nutrition.

For A-fib and high blood pressure, he should take his medications at right time and should not skip even single dose. Since there is early morning raise in BP his dose should be adjusted to keep it in control.

Pale to blueish skin is due to decreased blood supply to the skin, this may be due to cardiac problem, so advice him to take his medicines at regular time and better if some one monitor it. A simple pulse oximeter in the hospital can measure oxygen levels in his blood and rule out one of the conditions.

Ask him to do some yoga, to spend time in some work to beat boredom and keep reminding him to take the drugs at regular time. You should know all the medicines he is taking and keep reminding him. Spend some time with him and make him to feel free to discuss with you any thing he wants or to call any time. Make some arrangement to be with him as told before.

Hope I answered your question. Consult your doctor for further examination and management.
Feel free to ask me if you have any further queries.
Wish your father and you a very happy life and good health.

Follow-up: Has Atrial fibrillation, blueish skin, high BP, decreased appetite, weight loss and diarrhea. Had Cancer polyp removed 21 hours later
He lives in a retirement home in Jacksonville Fl. He has plenty of people around him. He takes his meds like he is suppose to and yesterday I found out he is using a walker in the past week and his dr is sending him to a kidney specialist. My father has always been very independent and has worked out for years he is the one that got me into yoga and meditation. He has just went down hill this year they gave him proton therapy for the prostate cancer but it had went into the limpnos and they just found the large cancer polyp in his colon. I don't know why he has to go to a kidney dr unless they think the cancer has spread. My problem with him is he will not tell me anything because I own my own business and he's afraid that I will lose business by going down there. He does not want to live in Ga around me because there is nothing of interest for him here. It is killing me not to be with him but I don't want to go against his wishes.
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Referred to prevent any damage or to manage kidney

Detailed Answer:

1. It is essential that we know his renal state before starting chemotherapy or radiotherapy or combination to treat colon cancer. Further we need to keep checking the vitals and the function of all important organs like kidney during treatment. If there is any variation then to prevent further damage. I am sure your doctor's would like to know about these information before starting treating. I think there would be more reasons that prompted his doctors for renal specialist consult.

2. I understand this is a difficult situation. However if I were you, I would choose to visit him at least once in a week or so if it isn't possible to stay with him. That would be my decision. You can talk to your father and let him know your feelings. I think he will understand and will let you be with him.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask if any doubts.