Hard,tender lump on side of face,lump rolls,eyelid swollen after tick attached to it

ENT Specialist
I woke up this morning with a hard, tender lump on the side of my face, in front of my ear. It feels like a pea under the skin as it rolls around a bit when i touch it. I have no other symptoms, but could this be related to the tick that was attached to my eyelid a few days ago? (Gross, I know. We live in a heavily wooded neighborhood and I guess it attached while I was sleeping). The place on my eye is still swollen, looking like a stye as it heals.
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 2 hours later

Thanks for the query

With the brief description you have mentioned, the lesion could be either an allergic reaction to an insect bite or a lymph node secondary to the infection in the surrounding region.

In the first condition, because of the introduction of irritative substance into skin by insect bite or by other means, an allergic reaction sets in, wherein the various mediators of inflammation are released causing redness, swelling and pain.

In the second instance, there are lymph nodes present in front of the ear which get enlarged because of the infection in the surrounding area. These lymph nodes help in combating the infection and meanwhile get enlarged according to the severity. They are also called policeman of our body.

Without a proper examination it is very difficult to come to a conclusion whether it is just a reaction to the tick bite or enlarged lymph node secondary to the reaction over the eye.

In any case, you can try taking antihistaminics to reduce the allergic reaction and an antiinflammatory (such as diclofenac/ibuprofen) to reduce the pain and inflammation. If the swelling does not subside, you might as well require an antibiotic to combat the infection consult your treating for the same.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar