Hard, red areas on bottom of foot with whitish center. No pain or itching.

I have 3 hard red areas on bottom of left foot appear to have a dry whitish area in middle. I have 3 of the same things on the inside of my left foot. These dont hurt, but they do itch. they are all pea size. and are very hard.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 1 hour later

Thank you for the query.

I would like to know few more things which would help me in suggesting you better:

1.) Do they hurt when you press hard over them?
2.) Are you Diabetic?
3.) Do you often wear ill fitting shoes like one with high heels or too tight ones?
4.) Do you wear socks?

Your History suggests you may be suffering from Corns which are hardened layers of skin that develop when your skin tries to protect itself against repeated friction and pressure. They most often develop on the feet.

Kindly get yourself examined by a Surgeon so that he/she may examine you and suggest a x-ray to rule out if a physical abnormality is causing them.

Once confirmed, you will be treated accordingly with,

1.) Analgesics.
2.) Antibiotic Medications.
3.) Salicylic Acid preparations for local application.
4.) Pumice stone to be rubbed to smooth away the dead skin over it.
5.) If you have an underlying foot deformity, your doctor may ask you to use shoe inserts to prevent them from recurring.
6.) In rare instances they may be removed surgically.

Follow these lifestyle modifications:

1.) Soak your feet in warm soapy water, this will soften them.
2.) Apply moisturizer to make your skin soft.
3.) Wear comfortable shoes and socks, not too tight or too loose.
4.) Stick to your treatment plan and go for regular follow up.

You may also send me a picture of the lesion. You have a feature to upload the reports / image by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wish you Good Health.

Take Care.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.