Hard lump on the leg, pains while pressing. Cancerous?

I have a lump on my upper leg under my skin. I have had it for nine months now. It's about the size of a bean and is hard. It starts to ache when I put pressure on it for example when i cross my legs and sometimes even without the pressure. It's not visible at all but you can feel it. At first I thought it was a tension know but it's been nine months. Can anybody help me with this. Thank You.
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 1 hour later

The lump can be a lipoma or a sebaceous cyst .

It can be surgically removed if symptoms develop, such as if :

Becomes painful or tender.
Becomes infected or inflamed repeatedly.
Drains foul-smelling discharge.
Interferes with movement or function.
Increases in size.
Becomes unsightly or bothersome.

It is better to show it to a surgeon who can palpate and do an excisional biopsy and send it for histopathology so as to confirm its diagnosis.

Hope i have answered your query.I will be available for follow up.

Best wishes

Follow-up: Hard lump on the leg, pains while pressing. Cancerous? 13 minutes later
The lump is not visible at all. In fact you actually have to feel around to find it. Is there a possibility that it could be stress? It really feels like it's throbbing/aching when it acts up but then doesn't last very long. The symptoms go away when i relax my legs.

Should I be worried about it being cancerous?
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 23 hours later
Hello again,

No, I don't think it is cancerous but one should not neglect it.

It is better to get examined by a Surgeon or a Gynecologist to know the exact cause and further treatment of it.

It can be muscular pain or sebaceous cyst according to the history you are giving.

Any further query is most welcome.

Follow-up: Hard lump on the leg, pains while pressing. Cancerous? 22 minutes later
Thank you so much. That was helpful and gave me some peace of mind. I made an appointment with my doctor for next week.

All the best, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 20 hours later

Best wishes