Hard bump between clavicle and shoulder, pain in neck and back, flaring in the mornings

Hi, I have a hard bump in the pocket between my clavicle and shoulder (if that makes sense- it is sort of my shoulder- as if it's attached to the bone? It's hard). From it, there is a lot of pain that sometimes extends up the side of my neck, down my back and front, and if really bad, down the side of the top part of my arm. It seems to flare up in the mornings. I can't shrug my left shoulder or move it without screaming in pain when that happens. I'm 29, 180 lbs, and 5'6".
Posted Sun, 16 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Mihail Iepure 8 hours later
Welcome to Healthcare Magic,
It is very hard to say without physical examination what cause exactly your condition. You need properly physical assessment to determine exactly location, size, consistency, examine local signs of this nodule. Your description suggestive ( we presume only ) for regional lymph node, cyst, tissue mass, cold abscess, lipoma, etc.. Your migrated pain and discomfort ( neurologic symptoms) to different parts of body associated with “flare up” sensation are explained possible by compressing or stretching nerves or/and irritating local bursae. At this point you may take ibuprofen or naproxen to reduce pain, and plain radiographs or computer tomography, in some cases as per indication biopsy with histologic and cytogenetic analysis.
All these test will help you understand and find cause and accordingly will be more easy choose treatment.
I wish you good luck and speedy recovery,
Hope this helps and I have answered your query. If you have additional queries don’t hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,