Hands gets curl and frozen while sneezing, coughing or laughing. Could it be muscle spasm?

Hello Dr. Christensen,
Just a quick question. For the past year, everytime I have to sneeze, cough or laugh really strong both my hands will curl into almost a claw like position and stay frozen for several seconds, and then I'm fine. Is this just a form of a muscle spasm? I'm 44.5 :) 243lbs (I know).... and otherwise pretty healthy. Thanks.
Posted Sun, 24 Feb 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 1 hour later
Hi, welcome and thanks for writing in.
Yes, it is form of muscle spasm which is known as carpo-pedal spasm. It a sign of hypocalcemia.
It is not a serious condition which will affect your health. However it need to be corrected gradually.
I will suggest please consult your physician to get clinically examined . Blood calcium level test may be needed. It is also important to note that at this perimenopausal age calcium level start decreasing. You need to start calcium and VIT D supplements depending on blood level.

Hope I have answered your query.