Hair loss, tried Mintop and hair loss cream, no dandruff, history of thin hair. Can egg white and oil be used?

I am a 23 years old male. I had pretty good hair till the age of 18. Thereafter, hair started thinning because of rapid hair loss. Right now, my hair near the forehead are almost gone and remaining too seem in a hurry to go. I tried a few medicines like "Dr. Reddy's Mintop 2%", "Himalaya's Hair Loss Cream", "Parachute Therapie lotion", but didn't notice any difference. Both my parents have very thin hair, so its understandable that mine will be no better. But, this was not expected at a young age of early 20s. I do not have dandruff and my hair is dry. I usually do not apply hair oil.
Please answer my following queries:
1) As suggested by many barbers, does shaving off the head completely 7-8 times increase hair density? I read somewhere that it appears so only because of the new blunt hair instead of the tapered tip. Still, is it recommended that I go for it?
2) I masturbate very often - about 10-12 times a week. I started doing this from the age of 17. Can this be a reason for hair fall?
3) Does applying egg white on hair and scalp improve the hair growth and quality? What should be my diet so to obtain good hair?
4) I do not apply hair oil for fear that it may cause even more damage when I rub it on my scalp. As a result, my hair remains dry and have started graying. What is recommended, to oil or not to oil?. If I should oil, then which one shall I use for good hair.

Please answer the above queries separately. :-)
Thanks in advance! :-)
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Hair Loss
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 3 hours later

Hair loss in post-peubertal males also known as androgenetic alopecia is very common.

To answer your queries-
1)Shaving off your hair will not have any effect on hair loss or growth. It is not recommended.

2)Masturbation has no effect on hair loss.

3)You may use egg white. It gives shine to the hair but does not affect hair fall. Take a high protein diet- pulses, sprouts, paneer, egg white, chicken.

4) I recommend my patients not use any hair oil as it does not affect hair loss whatsoever. You may shampoo your hair as frequently as you want. The hair that falls while shampooing will eventually fall anyways.

As for the treatment you have not been given the correct treatment till now. use 5% mintop and discuss finasteride with your dermatologist. You may also consider hair transpant if you have advanced hair loss.

Hope i have answered your query.I will available for follow up.