Ask a Dentist   »  

Had wisdom tooth extraction and stitches. Swollen mouth, headache, nausea and dizziness. Any help?

I had a bottom wisdom tooth extracted over a week ago and have stitches and swelling on the side of my mouth. Ive been experiencing severe headaches, sore tonsil on that side, tiredness, lethargy, nausea, chills and dizziness similar to vertigo spells.. I'm currently taking antibiotics to help any infection I may have from having my tooth out. I am a smoker and have no desire to have a cigarette at all. I've been feeling like this for 7 days so far and feel no better. Can you help?
Posted Thu, 30 Aug 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad 2 hours later

Pain and gum swelling is a common occurrence after a tooth extraction. It occurs due to inflammatory reaction to the procedure and such symptoms can last for couple of weeks.

However in your case this inflammation has spread to the tonsils, surrounding throat structures and ear causing the symptoms described by you. These changes are probably induced by an active infection - virus or bacteria. Getting a throat swab/exudate swab from the tonsil tested under microscopy will confirm the type of bacteria.

I see you are on some antibiotics, but as the symptoms are been for a while, it is time that you visit your treating doctor to get the test done at the earliest. He /she can also change your current antibiotic drug and start you on broad spectrum antibiotic probably. In the meantime also consider mouth gargles with antiseptic solutions. Steam inhalation thrice a day along with anti-inflammatory drugs like Panadol can give added benefits.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need further assistance.
Please close this discussion if you do not have a follow up query.

Wish you a speedy recovery

Dr. Prasad
Follow-up: Had wisdom tooth extraction and stitches. Swollen mouth, headache, nausea and dizziness. Any help? 9 hours later
Thanks for your answer. I'm definitely going back to the doctor today as last night I was having the worst headaches and then starting vomiting for a couple of hours.. I just woke up and again have a headache and my throat on both sides is sore I think from vomiting so much.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 9 hours later

Yes, the severe headache + vomiting concerns me.

Neuroinfection is an extremely rare post effect of dental / oral infections. If the headache doesn't respond to anti-inflammatory analgesics, you would need to be investigated further - complete hemogram, swab test with or without brain scan may be ordered by your doctor.

I would like to know about your doctor's opinion. If possible, post the details of the visit.

Wish you speedy and healthy recovery.

Best regards
Dr. Prasad
Follow-up: Had wisdom tooth extraction and stitches. Swollen mouth, headache, nausea and dizziness. Any help? 4 minutes later
Thanks again, I have an appointment at 9am tomorrow. The symptoms seemed to have eased over the day but did vomit after breakfast. I will let you know how my appointment goes.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 47 hours later

I hope the appointment went well and you are better now.

Wish you good health. I will be available on XXXXXXX ( WWW.WWWW.WW if you wish to discuss about any other concerns in future.
If you have no more follow ups for now, please close this discussion. Your reviews would be appreciated.

Best Regards
Dr. Prasad