Had unprotected sex, took Nordette. No withdrawal bleeding but had abdominal cramps. Meaning?

Question
I had unprocted sex Sept 7 LMP Aug 29 regular... I took nordette 4 pills approximately 5 hrs after then another 4 pills 12 hrs after. It's been 12 days I have no bleeding. I have abdominal/hypogastric cramps for almost 4 days already...what does this mean? Did the ECP worked since I didn't get withdrawal bleeding
Posted Wed, 9 Oct 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need not always get withdrawal bleed.

Detailed Answer:

If you have regular 28-30 day cycles, you had intercourse during the early fertile period. Though Nordette is used as emergency contraceptive, it is not the prescribed one normally. Also, it is not necessary that you always get a withdrawal bleed. Some do not see it.

In the current scenario, test for pregnancy can be done through assessment of serum beta-hCG values after 3-4 days at the earliest. The cause of your cramps could be an impending early period or, if conception has occurred, a sequel to implantation. If your cycles normally have a span of 28-30 days, your chances of conception are less.

Please wait for a week to see if you have a period or if the test shows any result. Contact a specialist for further suggestions after that.

Hope your query is clarified. Please feel free to contact for further clarifications. I will be happy to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex, took Nordette. No withdrawal bleeding but had abdominal cramps. Meaning? 2 minutes later
When is the best time to get a serum HCG? 3-4 days from today?

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Not earlier than 21 days in a 28-day cycle.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing again.

Serum beta-hCG test is usually positive about 10 days after conception and as such can be done around 22-23 days of a cycle of 28-30 days. As you had your last period on 29th of August, you can get the test done 3-4 days from today.

Hope your doubt is clarified. Please get back if you have any more queries. I will be ready to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex, took Nordette. No withdrawal bleeding but had abdominal cramps. Meaning? 12 hours later
Hi just a follow up... All day i had abdominal cramps my breasts are tender my flank to my ribs hurt when in peed i had a whitish sticky dicharge on the tissue one "drop" what could this mean im really worried

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possible the cervical mucus plug released

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing again.

I can understand your worry. I think your symptoms are more likely to be premenstrual. The discharge is mostly from the cervix that gets released before the onset of a period, the so-called cervical mucus plug. Please use firm support to your breasts and if the cramps are severe, you may use some anti-spasmodic; otherwise you can apply some heat to the part of abdomen where you feel the pain.

Hope all your queries are answered. Please feel free to contact for further queries. I will always be available for help.

Wish you good health.

regards,
Shanti.V.

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex, took Nordette. No withdrawal bleeding but had abdominal cramps. Meaning? 3 minutes later
Can the ecp nordettecause this symptoms? I havent had this before?

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, while still on the pill.

Detailed Answer:

Nordette can cause abdominal cramps, breast tenderness, candidial vaginitis, altered cervical erosion and secretion etc. as the drug is being used. Since your symptoms have manifested after a long time after stopping the drug, they are less likely to be related. Exclusion/confirmation of pregnancy alone can give a definite conclusion.

Hope your query is answered. Please contact for further clarifications. I will be happy to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.