Ask a Urologist   »  

Had unprotected sex during periods. Having some genital irritation. Suggest some cure

Hello Doctors,
Me and wife had unprotected sex during her periods some 3 days ago. Post sex we both observed that there was genital irritation which was followed by symptoms like,
For Her:the urgency of urination, and the irritation in the lower urinary tract, burning sensation during urination
For myself: Swelling and redness of penis foreskin, burning sensation, appearance white marks on penis
Could you please help us here.

Thanks and Best Regards,
Posted Fri, 3 Aug 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 2 hours later
There is a possibility that you and your wife might be having urethritis. Both of you need treatment simultaneously. The question is what was the organism that caused the problem that you have and unless a detailed examination is done, it will be difficult to opine. Possibility of what we call chlamydial / viral / bacterial infection exist, and urine examination for pus cells, and culture and sensitivity if required should be done. Chlamydial infecion usually gets controlled with drugs like Azithromycin or Doxycycline. Symptomatic relief for your wife can be obtained by alkalinisation of urine with drugs like citralka, and phenazopyridine which will reduce the burning in urination (but may colour urine red). Urgency and frequency can be controlled by using tablets like Darifenacin and Flavoxate, but these are not usually available without prescription .
Hope I have been of help. Let me know if you have further queries.