Had unprotected sex and have delayed periods. Feel tired, sore and achy. Get discharge and HPT negative

Diabetologist
Question
I have had unprotected sex two weeks ago and I'm 7 days late for period, I'm tired , sore and achy, I just get discharge and have had a negative test
Posted Mon, 8 Jul 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage

Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 1 hour later

Unprotected sex during the unsafe period of the menstrual cycle always has a high chance of pregnancy.

If you have a missed period then the first thing is to rule out pregnancy.

With 7 days of missed period the urine pregnancy test in most of the cases is weakly positive or negative.

Repeat the urine pregnancy test after a week.
If it is positive then the likelihood of pregnancy is established.
If it is negative then pregnancy may be unlikely.

In this case you can go for Serum Beta HCG test which will be more confirmatory for pregnancy.
Ultrasound may be too early at this stage to confirm pregnancy due to non formation gestation sac.

Hope the answer helps you.
Pleased to answer other query.

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex and have delayed periods. Feel tired, sore and achy. Get discharge and HPT negative 7 minutes later
Are the symptoms of pregnancy similar to period pains because there are many times I have experienced period pain but then I'm fine and then I will get achy again and think I'm about to come on my period when instead I get discharge and a mild pain in my lower parts

Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 19 minutes later

The symptoms of First trimester of pregnancy is most morning sickness, spotting and mild lower abdominal pain.

But the symptom of menstraul period is headache, irriatibility, cramps and spasmodic pain to the lower abdomen and lower back.

There may be some overlap of symptoms with pregnancy and Menstraul periods.

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex and have delayed periods. Feel tired, sore and achy. Get discharge and HPT negative 3 days later
I finally came on my period 11 days late, it was extremely painful and lumpy blood , that feels like I'm tearing inside, is this normal?

Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 3 hours later

It is normal to have pain and passage of small clots especially when period is delayed for more than a week. Warm compresses and antispasmodic drugs can provide pain relief. But if the pain is very severe and heavy with large clots, I would suggest to consult a gynecologist for specific treatment.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Wish you good health.