Had unprotected sex after period. Started bleeding after taking unwanted 72. Is this normal?

Mar 2016

hello doctor! my periods got over on 19th of this month and i had unprotected sex on 21st of this month. i took unwanted 72 the very next day i mean on 22nd of this month. everything was normal but today on 5th day i am having reddish,brownish vaginal bleeding.and is continue till today. i mean today is the 2nd day m suffering from it. i suffered from mild fever too yesterday. will it effect my husband's health too if i will get cozy with him . please let me know how long it will last and is it normal or not? and how will i came to know about my next period's date. and is there any chances od getting pregnant now? as i do not want a baby at present. also let me know about can it result in cancer ?
Posted Tue, 19 Mar 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 58 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us. I am giving answer as per your query.

1) First of all, you did unprotected sex on safe period (2 days after period over on 21st Feb) and took unwanted 72 as emergency pill within first 24 hrs (on 22nd Feb) for extra protection. Therefore, chance of being pregnant is nil literally. Here, you have nothing to worry.

2) Getting reddish brown vaginal discharge is withdrawal bleeding due to effect of the pill. It is quite common & normal phenomena following taking the emergency pill. It generally occurs within 7 days and lasts for next 3-5 days or less. Bleeding will stop automatically & no treatment is necessary for that.

3) Next period will be earlier or delayed from expected date due to hormonal imbalance. It is generally seen that 7-10 days date alteration may occur. Even after 10 days, if you do not get your period, you may need to undergo for some investigations with consultation of gynecologist.

4) For your husband, it is better to use condom during this period to avoid any type of infection. Maintenance of genital hygiene is the key thing.

5) Unwanted 72 is levonorgestrel containing emergency pill. It is more than 95% effective against unwanted pregnancy if it is taken within in first 24 hrs.

If you do not want baby now, you can take combined OCP which has highest effectiveness (around 99.9%). Emergency pill is not a substitute of regular contraception.

There is no relation in developing of cancer with using it. It is very much wrong idea.

Hope, I have answered your queries. If you do not have any other clarification, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Wish your good health in future and practice safe sex.

Dr Soumen