Had unprotected sex. Took unwanted 72. Missing periods, getting slight brown discharge. Pregnant?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
Hello, I had just touched my girl friends vagina, and i was paranoid that i had pre cum on my finger when i touched her. So, i gave asked her to consume unwanted 72. and she did so after after 30 Hrs. The act was performed 3 days after her periods ended. After consumption she had her periods again after 10 days, but it was less discharge. Since then, she has not had her period, It has been around 40 days since her last periods. now she said she saw slight brown discharge. what does this mean?
Can anything be causing the delay in her periods, or is she pregnant? And what are the chances that she is pregnant even after consumption of Unwanted 72
Posted Mon, 3 Sep 2012 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 27 minutes later
hi,

the chances of pregnancy are less,
-as you had intercourse on around 8th day of periods, in case of regular 28 to 30 days periods ovulation is unlikely on that time,
-she took unwanted 72 within 30 hours, as pill can give protection up to 72 hours,
-pill can cause menstrual irregularities, as she took pill in her first of cycle that might have preponed her periods that may be responsible for light periods after 10 days, it can also cause intermenstrual bleeding, brown discharge etc, taking of pill may also be responsible for delay in her periods.

but as the pill is having around 13% of failure rate and sometimes pre-ejaculate fluid can contain spermatozoa, though the chance is very less, we cannot completely rule out the possibility of pregnancy.
so let her once undergo blood test for pregnancy which will clarify the doubt, in case of absence of pregnancy possibly she will get her period soon.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex. Took unwanted 72. Missing periods, getting slight brown discharge. Pregnant? 9 hours later
Dear Madam,

Thanks for the valuable answer, but, Lets Assume, I had nothing on my finger. But, since I was paranoid, she took the pill. Can the pill alone cause such a scene of early and elongated periods?

Please let me know.
Thanks

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 10 hours later
hi,

yes, emergency pill can cause these menstrual irregularities because of high dose of hormones it contains.
as it is not 100% effective in preventing pregnancy, if there is possibility of pregnancy, better to rule out once as I told before.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex. Took unwanted 72. Missing periods, getting slight brown discharge. Pregnant? 2 days later
Dear Madam,

Sorry for the delay in response, But i was very curious to know. after she consumed the pill, and she got her periods (even though lightly), does'nt that mean that she is not pregnant. and the effects are because of the pill. Can you explain a little elaborately, that how is this condition can a chance of her being pregnant?

Please let me know.

Thank you very much!

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 3 hours later
hi,

as I told that the chance of pregnancy is less because of factors I mentioned already,
but just because of the rare possibilities of failure of pill and early ovulation, without pregnancy test 100% conclusion cannot be given,
implantation bleeding can also occur after around one week of intercourse and that can also be light in quantity, so just to rule out better to go for pregnancy test once.