Had unprotected sex. Took i pill next day. Had periods. Pregnancy test showed faint lines. Pregnant?

Psychiatrist
Question
Hi can you please help on 30th April I had an unprotected sexual intercourse with my girlfriend and on the next day she took the ipill within 24hrs and on the 3rd of may she had her period since that date there were no sexual intercourse and now her period is due and yesterday she did a home pregnancy test and the end result was a very very faint line.. Can you please advise if there is a possibility that she is pregnant??

Many thanks for your reply
Posted Mon, 24 Jun 2013 in Birth Control

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 1 hour later
Hello
Thanks for using health care magic for posting your query.
Before I can answer your question I wiuld like to know a few details
1. Was the period that came on day 3, a normal one or was it scant. How long did that last.
2. Did you consider doing a repeat upt test.
Hope to hear from you soon.
Regards.
Dr. Srikanth Reddy

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex. Took i pill next day. Had periods. Pregnancy test showed faint lines. Pregnant? 1 hour later
Hi Dr XXXXXXX

Many thanks for your prompt response, the period was pretty a normal one, we have today perform another test and same has revealed to be negative.

Should we worry about it?? Or should perform another test again?

Can you please advise why her period is still due.?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks
XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 18 hours later
Thanks for your follow-up details.
If the earlier period was adequate in amount and duration, there is no need to worry much. Especially if one test has come negative, it reduces the chances of pregnancy to almost negligible.
You can be relived of the thought of pregnancy.
However from next time on, be careful about the unprotected sexual acts as they carry the risk of unwanted pregnancy as well as sexually transmitted diseases like HIV/AIDS.
So always use a condom while performing sex.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:
bit.ly/dr-srikanth-reddy

Wish you good health,
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.

Dear XXXXXXX

Thanks for the clarification, is it advisable to do a blood test to be confirmed once for all or the home pregnancy test is enough and far reliable to confirm the none pregnancy of my girl friend??

Last thing can you please advise why her period is still due??

Thanks.

XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 3 minutes later
The home urine pregnancy test is more than confirmatory. You need not do any blood test.
Regarding delay in her periods, there could be n number of reasons.
The most common being:
1) Stress that she could be pregnant.
2) Taking an emergency pill, that is a hormonal drug.
3) Other environmental problems like temperatures, etc.
At this point there is no need to panic. Get a UPT test repeated after 10 days. You basically dont need to do even that, but that will assure you further.
Dr. Srikanth Reddy

Many thanks for your prompt response to this medical issue Dr XXXXXXX

May God bless you and your team.

Rgds

XXXXXX.

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 18 minutes later
Thanks for the appreciation.
Dr. Srikanth Reddy MD