Had unprotected sex. Took i-pill. Chances of pregnancy?

Hi Doc, I had an unprotected sex and I took Ipill ofter 55 hrs of Unprotected sex. Is there is any chance of getting pregnant?
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later

From what I understand, you were involved in unprotected sexual intercourse and then took I pill after 55 hours.

I pill is an emergency contraceptive pill. It is most effective when taken within 72 hours after sexual intercourse. However the effectiveness is proportional to the time after which it is taken - Maximum effectiveness (99%) to prevent pregnancy when taken within 12 hours; least effective when taken after 72 hours and almost ineffective when taken after 5 days. The failure rate at 72 hours is approximately 1-3% which means that there is a 1-3 in 100 chance of getting pregnant.

As you have taken the pill within 72 hours, you need not worry. Presuming you haven't taken any medications such as phenytoin or rifampicin ( which are used for epilepsy and tuberculosis) ,the chances of pregnancy are low.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if I have missed out on any other concerns. Do accept the answer if you are satisfied with my answer.

Wish you good health.