Had unprotected sex. Took emergency contraceptive pill. Missed periods. Chances of pregnancy?

Mar 2016

Last menstruation, around 12th of April. Missing periods this month. Had unprotected sex and subsequently went for emergency contraceptive pill, (i-pill) soon after (around 26th of May). Remained sexually active after that, mostly unprotected sex.
Query: missing periods and irregularity is first time. Though home pregnancy test have given negative result, (done on the 22nd of May), I am concerned about chanced pregnancy.
Posted Sun, 9 Jun 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 49 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us. I am trying to solve this problem.

Here, you need to undergo one blood test for beta HCG to confirm pregnancy. It is more reliable than home pregnancy test.

In general, period date may be delayed up to 7 days and it is considered as normal thing. If you did unprotected sex around period due date (much safer than other days) or there after, then chance of being pregnant is almost nil literally. Also taking I-pill within first 24 hrs of sex gives additional protection near about 95% against unwanted pregnancy.

Your upcoming period may be delayed for 7-10 days following taking the pill. It occurs mostly due to hormonal imbalance & mental stress. Here, you can wait for another 5-7 days after getting negative blood test report.

In exclusion of pregnancy, other reasons for late period are thyroid disturbance (hypothyroid state), over weight or rapid loss, stress/ anxiety/ emotional upset, psychological factor, irregular diet habit, high prolactin level, pelvic infection etc.

In this scenario, you need to consult with your gynecologist who can guide for relevant investigations (like pelvic ultrasound scan, hormone assay etc) after a physical examination if pregnancy is ruled out. Complete treatment depends on underlying etiology. You may need to take progesterone pill to induce period.

The following measures can be helpful :

1) Take healthy diet with vitamin & iron supplements.
2) Complete avoidance of salty/ fatty/ junk food stuffs. Keep bowel habit regular.
3) Try to avoid stress by yoga/ deep breathing regularly (20-30 times) or meditation.
4) Drink plenty of water and eat more green vegetables & fresh fruits.
5) Control body weight by regular physical exercise. Maintain personal hygiene. Take sound sleep.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

For any future query, you can directly ask me by viewing this page WWW.WWWW.WW
Wish your good health & take care yourself.

Dr Soumen.
Follow-up: Had unprotected sex. Took emergency contraceptive pill. Missed periods. Chances of pregnancy? 24 minutes later
I am a little confused with the procedure of home pregnacy test kit, is it required that, the early morning urine is used as sample or any time will do, secondly if there are other restrictions. Second doubt, is about the effect of i-pill on health in general. As you mentioned it can delay periods by a week or so, does it also have any permanent effect, like affecting future pregnancy. Thirdly, as i mentioned, I have never had any delays earlier in periods, so exactly ,how many days should I wait before I go for a blood test and if positive, what are my options for a non-surgical and minimal damage abortion?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 34 minutes later

Thanks for your follow up queries.

1) First morning urine sample is the ideal for home pregnancy test due to highest concentration of beta-HCG and it gives more accurate result than randomly collected urine sample.

2) I-pill is large dose progesterone pill and it causes irregular cycle by altering hormonal balance. If you take emergency pill quite often, then your ovulation time is hampered and it may impact on your pregnancy while you will try for a baby. Otherwise I-pill itself does not causes any pregnancy related problem.

If you want to involve in unprotected sex on regular basis, then it is better to take combined OCP instead of emergency pill. It gives highest protection near about 99.9% against unwanted pregnancy on taking regular basis and you will get regular monthly period. It gives more mental satisfaction.

3) You need to undergo blood test at the earliest without any delay as it is already 10 days past from due date. On negative test, you will get much relief from mental stress.

On positive test, you need to consult with gynecologist to conduct medical abortion. It can be done successfully up to 7 weeks and XXXXXXX 9 weeks. MTP pill should be taken under supervision of your doctor to avoid excessive vaginal bleeding or other related complication. You can't control it at home.

Following medical abortion, one ultrasound scan is required to check any retained bits inside the uterine cavity. In such case, D & C (surgical abortion) may be needed after consultation with doctor.

On negative blood test, you can wait for 5-7 days with previously mentioned health tips to get period normally. Otherwise taking progesterone pill for 5-7 days helps to induce your period. You need to take a prescription from your doctor regarding this.

Hope it helps for you. If you do not need any clarification, you can close the discussion & rate the answer.

Good luck. Practice safe sex in future.

Dr Soumen