Had unprotected sex. Since then having runny nose, rashes, headaches, loss of weight and itching all over body. HIV infection?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
I have sex wit a women unprotected rumored to be hiv positive like 18 months ago since than I been feeling symptoms such as runny nose rashes headaches loss of weight itching all over body pain in back and neck burning on outter thighs I three times for hiv once at 2 months 2nd at 12 months and third at 16 months post exposure they were all negative i do smoke heavy marijuana maybe like 6 times a day could smoking that much cause a delay in a positive result or it possible to be having all these symptoms and be hiv negative
Posted Mon, 4 Nov 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are definitely HIV - negative

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing health care magic as platform for your query.
I have gone through your query and I want to explain few points about HIV infection.
HIV is Human Immunodeficiency Virus(HIV) and it causes Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome (AIDS)
This virus enters the body through mucosa lining the genitals during sexual intercourse and reaches blood after 4 - 12 days of exposure.
So HIV testing can be done after 4 days only.
Most common tests done for HIV are antibody tests which become positive after 3-12 weeks after exposure.
These tests are very sensitive tests and if the person is infected with HIV, he will definitely become positive by 3 months after exposure.
Now coming to your HIV test results:
2 months after exposure - negative
1year after exposure - negative
16 months after exposure - negative.
You are definitely negative.
Smoking marijuana does not have any effect on HIV test results.
The symptoms you are having are very non specific symptoms and such are seen in chronic smokers and drug abusers.
I suggest you get in touch with your GP for assessment of present symptoms and take measures to give up smoking of marijuana.
I hope I have answered your query satisfactorily.