Had unprotected sex. Noticed pink spotting when urinating. Could it be implantation bleeding ?

May 2013
I'm a 32 y/o women with normal pap test no std's and have been abstinent for 10 months. I had unprotected sex with my friend 48 hours ago and I'm experiencing minor pink spotting when I urinate. No pain or irritation outside or inside, no odor, just minor pink color when I wipe. My friend is clear of all std's. My period started 10 days ago and ended 5 days after that. I just want to know what this could be? Possibly minor abrasion of the cervix? We didn't have wild rough sex. Could you possibly help? Or maybe have an idea. I don't want to run to my doctor if it's nothing to be overly concerned about. I have regular periods and 1 child that is 6 years old. I am not using any birth control besides condoms. I realized implantation bleeding is highly unlikely, and he did not ejaculate inside of me. I know that I can get pregnant without that but it is also unlikely. Just a little concerned because I've never had this happen before. He did finger me at one point and maybe it was just to rough for me, even though it didn't feel rough. I'm at a loss.
Posted Wed, 25 Jul 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later

the possible causes for your spotting are,

-post coital tear: it can occur on vaginal walls during intercourse and may show some amount of bleeding depending on the extent of tear,
in minor tears only spotting will be seen and that will subside by its own.

-cervical polyps: these are benign protrusion from the surface of cervix, it can bleed when friction occurs during intercourse.

-endometrial polyps: these are protrusions from lining of uterus and can bleed due to intercourse.

-ovulatory bleeding: in case of irregular periods or regular cycles with shorter length of cycle ovulation can occur on 8th day,

as you told implantation bleeding usually will not occur on 2nd day of intercourse.

anyhow as you are having minimal spotting, it will possibly subside soon,
if it continues or increases in severity consult gynecologist and get examined once.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex. Noticed pink spotting when urinating. Could it be implantation bleeding ? 1 hour later

I will certainly go see my doc if things progress or get worse. It may be a UTI as well. But the symptoms don't match exactly. I've only had a UTI once in my life and it was terrible, I hope that's not it. When I had that one experience with a UTI it was after abstaining from sex for over a year, very similar to this situation. I really hope it doesn't turn into that.

Thank you for the information. I'm pretty sure it's an XXXXXXX scratch of sorts. I don't have a history of polyps and I just had my yearly pap. Should I do anything to help the healing along? Or just leave my body to do it's job?
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 15 hours later
urinary tract infection usually presents with urgency and/or frequency of urination,
burning during micturition, associated fever etc symptoms,
as you are not having these type of symptoms UTI is unlikely,
it could be also tear near urethra during intercourse that may be presenting as spotting during urination,

if tear or scratch etc present it will heal by itself, you better be in abstinence for 3 to 4 days so that further friction will not occur on that.

you can follow general measures like maintaining adequate hydration, and taking food XXXXXXX in vitamin C etc,

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.