Had unprotected sex. Having white discharge with foul smell from vagina. Got small blister on the labia

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2016
Mar 2016

OBGYN
Question
I have had unprotected sex with one partner over the past 2 months. Three days ago I started to have a bad vaginal odor, which I assumed to be a yeast infection and did a one day treatment over the counter. Only a few hours after inserting the vaginal cream to treat the yeast infection, I began having extreme burning when urinating. I have been drinking cranberry juice and resting the past 2 days. Since I took the medicine I have also had a white discharge that has the similar bad odor. Most concerning, however, is this morning when I took a shower I noticed a small blister on the labia of my vagina. I know I need to make a doctor's appointment, but what do these symptoms likely indicate?
Posted Sat, 30 Mar 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. S Patra 55 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us. I am trying to solve your problem.

Bad vaginal odor along with white discharge is mostly associated with vaginal infection.

It may be due to several underlying etiology and these are as follows:

1) Bacterial vaginosis (fishy odor)/ Trichomoniasis (malodorous) and some times yeast infection (though vaginal itching is predominant symptom).
2) From any type of sexually transmitted disease (STD)- presence of small blister with bad smell vaginal discharge may suggest.
3) Using contraceptive pill or inserting any foreign object inside vagina during excitement or foreplay.
4) Concurrent practice of vaginal and anal intercourse in alternate way during same session.
5) Other- irregular diet habit, psychological factor, not properly maintenance of genital hygiene etc.

Burning sensation during urination may signify UTI) with co-existence of vaginal infection.

Presence of small blister on labial may be due to some inflammatory condition, caused by rough sex for several times or using chemical substance like lubricant/ jelly with condom or soap/ detergent/ other bath products, causing repeated friction & irritation inside vagina. Genital herpes is another possibility if it is very much painful.

The possibility can be narrowed by several investigations like one vaginal swab test for culture, blood test for complete STD profile, urine examination- routine & microscopy, cell culture & antibody to HSV (1 & 2) for Herpes etc.

Complete treatment depends on pin point diagnosis. You need to take proper anti microbial drug therapy along with vaginal suppository to get relief from this condition. Your partner also needs antibiotic therapy to avoid future transmission of the infection.

In this scenario, you must consult with a gynecologist regarding this for proper guidance through pelvic examination, investigation & next line of management.

Following things are helpful to get relief from above condition:

1) Take healthy diet with anti oxidant (like Vit-E/ C, selenium, zinc, lycopene etc) supplements. Drink plenty of water/ juice for better systemic circulation.
2) Do not touch/ wipe out genital area too much. Also avoid inserting objects inside vagina.
3) Maintain genital hygiene properly with proper washing & clean.
4) Wear only clean & cotton underwear. Don't wear any tight fitting cloths or pants to avoid repeated friction/ irritation.
5) Avoid using any type of chemical cosmetics or soap or condoms.
6) Try to avoid any type of sexual activity for at least 2-3 weeks.

Hope, above said information is sufficient & very much helpful to you. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health and practice protective sex in future.

Dr Soumen

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex. Having white discharge with foul smell from vagina. Got small blister on the labia 4 hours later
There is some soreness around my vagina, but I wouldn't classify the pain as extreme. I'm very scared that this could be herpes. There is only one small blister which did not show up until 6 days after we last had sex. It is very small and there is only one blister. It was white at first and now it is more skin colored. Are there any other symptoms associated with herpes that I should be looking for? I will get the recommended testing done as soon as possible and will definitely never have unprotected sex again!
Thank you,
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for your follow up query.

Yes, it may be genital herpes. Though it is asymptomatic in majority cases, it can be presented as cluster of genital sore (or single in some cases) with inflamed papules & vesicles or blister on outer surface of genitalia, resembling cold sore.

It is usually appear within 4–7 days after sexual exposure to HSV for the first time. It is mostly seen near pubis, labia, vulva, buttocks, anus.

Common symptoms are pain, itching or burning sensation around genital area. vaginal discharge, cervicitis, painful urination, enlarged lymph node, headache, malaise, fever, myalgia etc.

Therefore, I suggest you to undergo above mentioned investigation at the earliest to confirm the diagnosis and take suggestive medication accordingly.

If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Be well & take care.

Dr Soumen.