Had unprotected sex. Having runny nose, headache and itching all over body. Tested negative for HIV. Smoke heavy marijuana. What could it be?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
Question
I have sex wit a women unprotected rumored to be hiv positive like 18 months ago since than I been feeling symptoms such as runny nose rashes headaches loss of weight itching all over body pain in back and neck burning on outter thighs I three times for hiv once at 2 months 2nd at 12 months and third at 16 months post exposure they were all negative i do smoke heavy marijuana maybe like 6 times a day could smoking that much cause a delay in a positive result or it possible to be having all these symptoms and be hiv negative
Posted Tue, 12 Nov 2013 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 13 days later
Brief Answer:
Marijuana effects

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mr. XXXX,
Thanks for choosing Health care magic for your query.
Smoking marijuana does not affect the HIV test results in any way.

False negative HIV test results occur due to the following:

1. Window period (time taken for antibodies to appear after exposure). This period varies from 3 weeks to 12 weeks (up to 4 months after exposure)

2. Immunosuppression therapy (medications which suppress your immune system)

3. Bone marrow transplantation (In such patients, immunosuppression therapy is given to avoid rejection of bone marrow graft)

4. B cell dysfunction (immune system disorder)

5. Late stage of the disease (Full blown AIDS)

6. Technical error/ glove starch powder.

You have undergone HIV testing thrice and every time if it has been negative, then you are definitely HIV negative.

Your symptoms seem to be suggestive of marijuana abuse rather than HIV infection.

I would suggest a visit to rehab to get over this habit of smoking marijuana.

I hope I have cleared your doubts.

Thanks.

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex. Having runny nose, headache and itching all over body. Tested negative for HIV. Smoke heavy marijuana. What could it be? 55 minutes later
I have uploaded my rashes over my body what can cause this besides hiv
And I tested positive for hsv1 not hsv2
Me and my my now girlfriend has tested negative 3 times for hiv antibody tests she is suffering from the same symptoms as me including severe weight lost and rashes I tested positive for hsv1 and she tested negative for hsv1 how could this be we been having unprotected sex for 2 years now this rid really making me believe that this antibody tests are not accurate at all please help

Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Allergy, HSV 1

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mr. XXXX,
I have observed the images you have uploaded and I am suspecting an allergic reaction rather than any infection.

I suggest Tab Atarax 25 mg twice daily for a week for the rashes and itching.

HSV 1 is Herpes Simplex Virus type 1 which usually causes oral and pharyngeal lesions or blisters commonly called as fever blisters.
These occur very commonly among normal healthy individuals also.

I still want to stress upon quitting smoking for healthy life in future.

Thanks.

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex. Having runny nose, headache and itching all over body. Tested negative for HIV. Smoke heavy marijuana. What could it be? 41 minutes later
But I had a biopsy done on the rash on my thigh and it came back saying it was a viral infection that was causing that I was told that only syphillis and hiv can cause these rashes under my foot is this true and I tested negative for syphillis

Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Syphillis and skin rashes

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mr. XXXX,
The skin rashes occurring in second stage of syphilis are called condyloma which are usually genital warts caused by Human papilloma virus (HPV) especially type 6 and 11. They can present on hands and soles too (copper XXXXXXX rashes). This is a sexually transmitted infection. These warts have chance of causing cancer.

This is seen in second stage of syphilis where the person is most infectious and will definitely test positive for syphilis.

What you might have had is a common skin wart which is also caused by human papilloma virus. These warts are caused by HPV types 1,2,4 and 27. These warts are easily treatable and are non cancerous.

I hope I have cleared all your doubts.

Thanks.

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex. Having runny nose, headache and itching all over body. Tested negative for HIV. Smoke heavy marijuana. What could it be? 26 minutes later
How can I find out if this is hpv and are there tests for hpv and can hpv be causing all of my symptoms and I'm indeed not infected wit hiv

Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
HPV, Skin consult

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mr. XXXX,
Apologies for the late reply.

HPV is human papilloma virus and there are more than 100 types of HPV based on the DNA present (genotype). Different genotypes cause different skin lesions. Each genotype is assigned a number.

HPV is commonly responsible for the following:
Common warts - (1,2,4,7,10, 27 genotypes of HPV)
Genital warts - (6,11)
Cancer of cervix in women - (16, 18, 31 - High risk genotypes)

Common warts and genital warts can be easily diagnosed by just looking at them.
A skin specialist can examine and give you a confirmed diagnosis.

To find the exact genotype of HPV, molecular testing can be done which can detect the DNA sequence of the HPV.
This test is pretty expensive and is done only to detect the high risk genotypes to rule out cancer of cervix in women.

I suggest a detailed examination by a skin specialist to rule out the cause of rashes.

I hope I have answered your query satisfactorily.

Thanks.

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex. Having runny nose, headache and itching all over body. Tested negative for HIV. Smoke heavy marijuana. What could it be? 1 hour later
My last question is giving all my symptoms that I provided u with wouldn't all these symptoms be alarming and indicate hiv because I have all the symptoms of hiv besides high fever and my foot is burning more now and the rashes under my foot is getting what else could be causing all of this

Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Let the skin doctor decide

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mr. XXXX,
I understand that you are worried about being HIV positive but if the tests you have undergone are reliable tests, then you are definitely negative.

Please do not associate what you read on the net with what you are suffering from.

Please let your treating doctor decide the diagnosis after detailed examination.

Please trust your doctor and undergo any other lab workup he requests to aid his diagnosis.

Wishing you a speedy recovery and quit smoking for a healthy life ahead.

Thanks.

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex. Having runny nose, headache and itching all over body. Tested negative for HIV. Smoke heavy marijuana. What could it be? 22 hours later
Another thing that I have noticed is that I'm starting to have nose bleeds does this run common with hiv and u said full blown aids can cause false negative hiv test is if possible that I could have full blown aids

Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Full Blown AIDS, Nose bleeds

Detailed Answer:

Full Blown AIDS presents as follows:

Major signs:
1.Weight loss more than10% of the body weight
2.Chronic diarrhea more than 1 month
3.Prolonged fever more than 1 month (intermittent or continuous).

Minor signs:
1.Persistent cough for more than 1 month
2.Generalized dermatitis
3.Recurrent herpes zoster
4.Oropharyngeal candidiasis
5.Repeated herpes simplex infections
6.Generalized lymphadenopathy

WHO has defined AIDS as having two major signs and any one minor sign. But mind you other conditions causing similar symptoms have to be ruled out by detailed examination done by a doctor.

Full blown AIDS has severe immunosuppression, and patient develops many opportunistic infections, unusual tumors and severe weight loss.
The patient ends up bed ridden for more than 50% of the day.

Nose bleeds are due to:
Nose picking or trauma, high blood pressure and alcohol abuse.
Please rule out above causes before suspecting AIDS.

I have tried to explain and simplify as much as possible.

Thank you.

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex. Having runny nose, headache and itching all over body. Tested negative for HIV. Smoke heavy marijuana. What could it be? 9 minutes later
I understand that and I have had a runny nose for more than a month now I have had weight more than 15 pounds half of my day I just be wanting to lay in the bed because I be so weak and tired I feel pains now all the time throughout my whole body and I keep having recurrent sores on my penis every week that's why I said doesn't this indicate hiv

Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detailed examination resquired

Detailed Answer:

The signs listed in my previous answer are the signs given by WHO, but other causes causing similar signs must be ruled out by a detailed examination done preferably by a specialist before suspecting AIDS.

Runny nose could be allergy to dust, pollen etc.

Weight loss more than 5% of your body weight in 30 days is considered significant. But this also has to be assessed by a doctor and confirmed.

Wanting to lie in bed and being bed ridden are two different entities. Bed ridden is being confined to bed due to illness. The patient is forced to stay in bed.

Recurrent sores of penis have to be examined by a skin doctor. Recurrences can occur due to high stress levels also.

Thanks.