Had unprotected sex. Got fever, started shivering, pain in hips and legs. Worried for STD?

Jul 2016

Hi, I have had protected sex with multiple partners 6 to 7 times this year. Day before I received oral sex unprotected. Since yesterday night I have a slight shiver when I pass urine although the urine itself is normal without any burning sensation. I also have a very light fever. I also have pain in side of both my hips and legs, more at night while sleeping.I am worried I may have an std. I also need advice on which blood tests I can take as a precaution given my history. Also I am unable to have sex with my wife as I fear I should not infect her just in case I have something.
Posted Mon, 18 Feb 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 43 minutes later

Thanks for your query. Based on the fact that you have unprotected sex with multiple partners, possibility of you acquiring STD can not be ruled out.

Your present problem of shivering while passing urine and pain in both the hips could be due to Prostatitis. Following investigations will help to come to conclusion
1) Routine Urine Test
2) Ultra Sound Scanning of the abdomen.
3) Blood Tests for STD (VDRL) and Screening test for HIV would relieve your anxiety.
4) Blood sugar test to know the status of Diabetes.

It will be better if you avoid sex with your wife till you get results of these tests. This normally takes a day or two and consult a qualified Urologist for clinical examination and to confirm the diagnosis.
meanwhile take some antibiotics like Doxycycline twice daily. Get prescription of this drug from your family physician.

Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions. I shall be happy to help you.

Thanks with Regards.
Dr. Patil
Follow-up: Had unprotected sex. Got fever, started shivering, pain in hips and legs. Worried for STD? 2 days later
Thanks for the reply Doctor. Actually I have always had protected sex so hoping it would make things a little better. I spoke to my family physician but didn't mention my sex life as I was embarrassed. He gave me Norflox 400 to take twice a day and crocin 3 times a day for the fever. Course is for 5 days

Now the shivering is gone and so is the pain I was feeling in the hip region. I have taken the medicines for two days now. However I have a dull pain in the perineum region. Not constantly but sometimes in the day, I suspect more when I am lying down at night. Perineum I am assuming is the place between the testicles and anal area.

No burning sensation while urination still. I have been unable to do the blood test as I had to travel for work urgently and intend to get it done once I am back in a day or two. My current worry is the pain I still feel occasionally in the perineum region as I am not sure Norflox is solving that problem. Also whether this is a STD. Or does this pain take time to go away ?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 7 hours later

Thanks for follow up. I always consider the possibility of STD even in protected intercourse especially in the presence of oral sex exposure. Therefore it would be better to get blood tests done once you are back from your work after two days. It will relieve your tension about acquiring STD.

As regards pain in perineum, it favours the possibility of you having Prostatitis.

If you think Norflox is not working enough, we could stitch on to some 3rd 0r 4th generation Cephalosporine like Cipriozone or Cefotaxime after discussing ith your treating doctor.

In the meanwhile for pain, you may take some anti inflammatory drug like ibuprofen 400mg twice daily. Ibuprofen is available over the counter at most locations. It may take 2-3 weeks for infection to subside. Warm compresses can give added benefits.

Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions I shall be happy to help you.

I got the blood and urine tests done and have attached the reports for your perusal, kindly give me your feedback on this.

I have been taking Ibuprofen now twice daily (taken 3 doses already). The dull pain in the perineum region has almost gone after taking these doses. The urine flow has also slightly improved.

I am debating whether to get the ultrasound done now as i need to get a CT scan of the abdomen done next month as i have been diagnosed with a cystic lesion in the tail of the pancreas (which is evaluated every year). I did the CT last XXXXXXX there was no prostate issues as well as the PSA was well under control. As my sexual life is poor, i resort to masturbation (daily at times) and when very frustrated,safe sex with escorts. Maybe this has led me to my current issues. I need to make the choice now between being sexually frustrated or emotionally frustrated !

thanks for all the help in any case

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 18 minutes later
Thanks for follow upYou can withheld Ultrasound scanning as you have scheduled to undergo CT of the abdomen .Please discuss your problem of Prostatitis with Radiologist so that he will include Pelvic region while doing CT scan. .Do not get worried Your problem is not that serious for you to get frustrated either sexually or emotionally.Be calm and composed Things are bound to settle over a period of time.
Thanks with Regards.
Follow-up: Had unprotected sex. Got fever, started shivering, pain in hips and legs. Worried for STD? 55 minutes later
Thanks for the reassurance. Kindly let me know if the blood and urine reports are normal and whether I have any std/hiv. Also whether I should continue norflox/ibuprofen (today being 5th day of norflox course and 2nd day for ibuprofen)
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 2 hours later

Thanks for follow up. Your Urine report is normal and reports of Blood tests indicate that you have not acquired any STD or HIV. Since Prostatitis takes long time to recover, you have to continue taking medicine at least for three weeks.

Thanks and Regards.