Had tore MCL and bruised fibula causing pain. Recommended surgery for MCL. What to do?

Apr 2014

Three months ago I tore my mcl and bruised fibula ....ortho doc told me bruise would heal in time and didn't recommend surgery for mcl just physical therapy.....mcl doesn't bother me but the bone bruise feels the same I can't walk 2 blocks without feeling pain....what I'm not doing right?
Posted Mon, 9 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Your doctor has given right suggestion. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX Your doctor has given the right suggestion.You should give some more time for healing. There is no operative indication in your case.It should be managed conservatively. Bone bruise takes more time for healing depending upon severity whether you had subperiosteal hematoma,intraosseous or subchondral bruise. You should continue analgesics for some more time. Don't put stress in involved area.You can use knee brace. Ice massage should also be done for at least 10 minutes daily(five to six times).Ice should be wrapped in cloth. So,don't worry.You will be fine with time. If you are smoker,you should avoid smoking.Take nutritious food,it helps in healing. Get well soon Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX