Had thyroid removed due to mixed hurthle cell CA. Can papaya leaf tea be used while on Synthroid ?

Doctor - My husband had his thyroid removed due to mixed hurthle cell CA 14 months ago. He's been successfully treated, one year later his bl work is perfect.

He would like to try papaya leaf tea - University of Florida researcher Dr. Nam Dang has found that it may have anti-cancer properties. This would be a why-not kind of thing in case of recurrence. The instructions I've been given say "do not use with thyroid stimulators like KC_X", which must be an herbal supplement. Perhaps the ingredients in KC-x interact with papaya?

Any guess on whether papaya leaf tea can be used with Synthroid? Would that be considered a thyroid stimulator?

Thank you very much!
Posted Mon, 4 Jun 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 16 hours later
I have no idea what KC_x is

It appears your question is whether papaya leaf tea can be used with synthroid or not, as you are wondering if synthroid is considered a thyroid stimulator. The answer is that you can use the two together. Synthroid is thyroid hormone replacement. it replaces the missing hormone in your body. Once your thyroid was removed, your body no longer makes thyroid hormone that is necessary for survival. Also, given the history of cancer, it is imperative you use higher than usual doses in order to prevent cancer recurrence. This must be done under the supervision and care of a thyroid expert. Typically, synthroid is recommended to be taken away from food to avoid reduction in it's absorption from the gut. Calcium and iron supplements are the two main items that hamper the absorption of synthroid. So definitely synthroid must be taken away from these two.
To reemphasize, papaya leaf tea is not known to be an impediment to synthroid absorption but in general synthroid is meant to be taken separately from other food/beverages.