Had thyroid condition. Felt like heart skipped. Have cholesterol. What to do?

Hello, I am 44 yrs old and have had a tyroid condition for 16 years, I take 100mg pill a day. 4 days ago I felt my heart skipped a few beats like 100 times during the day, 2 days ago like 20 times during the day and yesterday like 15 times; Today its been like normal; only one time so far. I also have 5 to 1 cholesterol.
Posted Thu, 26 Sep 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Holter monitor

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your query. In patients with thyroid problems, arrrhythmias are not uncommon and given the frequent symptoms, these should be ruled out. Given again how frequent these are for you, then a Holter monitor for 24 hours should be good enough to sort this out. Nevertheless, to bring some peace of mind to you, the most common cause of "skipped" or abnormal beats are premature beats, which tend to be completely benign in nature and require no treatment if not excessive. The Holter would also sort that out.

Yours truly,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN