Ask a Urologist   »  

Had thrush after having sex with a girl, which came back as rash on tip of penis. Need medication

Question
Hi there, after having sex with a girl i was with i came out with a thrush like then rash on the tip of my penis, and it turned out she had gardenerlla vaginosis female bacterial problem of some sort, and when i had test etc it should that bacterial traces were in my urine so some how it made a rash on my penis, is there any cream that should get rid of this? obviously it hasnt gone on its own, its quite mild no cuts blleeding anything dramatic but just red and blotchy at times! please advise.
Posted Sat, 30 Jun 2012 in Penis Problems

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.
You may apply some local antibiotic cream like soframycin cream on the tip of your penis and this should be sufficient for you.
Take plenty of water.
No need to take any oral antibiotic.
You will need oral antibiotic only if you have urinary tract infection.
I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me gor any other query.
Best of luck.
Thanks

Follow-up: Had thrush after having sex with a girl, which came back as rash on tip of penis. Need medication 8 hours later
so if there was the gardnerella traces in my urine what type of bacteria would this of put on my tip, just basically looking for what is type of bacteria is there, and the soframycin cream is there a specific type percentage etc i should get? where would you advise i get this from please help.

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 11 minutes later
Hello
Since you have only traces of infection in urine,you don't have to worry.
There is no specific percentage of soframycin cream.
You should be able to get from pharmacy easily.
Normally E COLI bacteria are the cause for urine infections.
Thanks

Follow-up: Had thrush after having sex with a girl, which came back as rash on tip of penis. Need medication 6 minutes later
Thankyou, it wasnt the urine i am worried about it is how to get rid of the inflamed kind of red marks on my tip, im not sure whether this is called balanitus please advise that, but i will get the soframycin cream if you think it will clear the bacteria on my penis up, please advse.

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 24 minutes later
Hello
Yes this is called as balanitis.
Term Balanitis is a loose term and includes all type of inflammations of glans or head of penis.
Since the rash is very mild as said by you,local application of soframycin should be enough.
Alternatively,you can use 1% hydrocortisone cream locally.
Thanks

Follow-up: Had thrush after having sex with a girl, which came back as rash on tip of penis. Need medication 10 minutes later
Thanks, Yes it is mild in a sense but noticable but annoying as i just want the red marks to go. IT has been there quite a few months and wont go on its own obviously so im hoping the cream will kill any skin infection there is. DO you no of any websites that sell the cream, without me having to go to my local GP.

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Hello
I presume these creams are OTC products and you can get them without prescription
Since it is there for few months,it is better if you use hydrocortisone cream.
It is better if you use it for short span of time like 7 to 10 days only as it not supposed to be used for a long time.
Thanks

Follow-up: Had thrush after having sex with a girl, which came back as rash on tip of penis. Need medication 14 minutes later
what does the hydrocortisone do to the bacterial compared to the Soframycin, and is there any inparticular cortisonecream that i should be looking to get thanks?

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 14 minutes later
Hello
Since you have these rashes for few months,the inflammation component is much more than the infection itself and that is the reason this cream will offer better results.
The cream will come by the name of hydrocortisone cream 1%.
Thanks

Follow-up: Had thrush after having sex with a girl, which came back as rash on tip of penis. Need medication 5 hours later
Hi i uploaded a picture in the reports section so you could see, please advise after seing this, thanks.

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 54 minutes later
Hello
It seems to be very mild inflammation.
Just apply hydrocitisine cream as advised.
Thanks