Had thermal ablation done. Had unprotected sex. What are the chances of getting pregnant?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
Hi i had thermal ablation 4 years ago, and it was very sucessful i have had no bleeding, i am 46 years old and have to adult children 25 & 20, my question is i have a new partner we had unprotected sex twice and now i am worried i might be pregnant, what are the possibilites of this happening?
Posted Tue, 24 Jul 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
hi,

-thermal ablation is done to permanently remove endometrial cells which will form the inner lining of the uterus.

-normally this is done in treatment of excessive menstrual bleeding.

-but sometimes this procedure may not be 100% effective,
and few women continue to have menstrual periods after ablation,

-it can occur either immediately after or within 5 years of the procedure.

-so if you are having menstrual cycles after ablation then there is chance for pregnancy,

-means in case of presence of menstrual cycles if you had intercourse around the time of ovulation, which will be usually between 12 to 16 days in case of regular periods, then there is chance for pregnancy.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Had thermal ablation done. Had unprotected sex. What are the chances of getting pregnant? 1 hour later
I have had no menstrual cycle at all in the 4 years since the ablation, so i would assume i would be 'safe' and pregnancy would not occur, would this be correct

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 4 hours later
hi,

if you didn't get menstrual cycles in these four years after thermo ablation , it usually indicates permanent destruction of endometrial tissue,
so it can be said that getting pregnancy is very unlikely in your case.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.