Had the implanon put in arm. Had staph infection for which e-mycin was prescribed. Why is period delayed?

hi there, i had the implanon put in my arm in december, but last month i had a staph infection for which i was prescribed e-mycin. Now my period is late and i have other pregnancy symptoms. Though I done a test and it was negative. Im a little confused. Can u help?
Posted Mon, 25 Jun 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 26 minutes later
Implanon should not have any interaction with erythromycin that would cause failure of the device in case of contraception.If your period is late then the first step would be to take a pregnancy test.If thats negative then you neednt worry yet.Your period may be late due to other reasons like hormonal imbalance.Pregnancy symptoms may also be similar to pre menstrual symptoms.Bleeding changes are also a common side effect.Also there are some side effects of implanon like breast tenderness, weight gain, increased appetite etc that may mimic that of pregnancy.
I suggest a wait and watch policy.If the amenorrhea continues for over 2 months and the symptoms dont subside,or a pregnancy test is positive the consult your doctor.