Had swollen bottom lip. Noticed pimple on chin with clear liquid. Was on tylenol. What could it be?

Dec 2013

Yesterday evening I had a little pain on the inside of my bottom lip. This morning my lip was swollen. On my chin is what I think is a pimple but only clear liquid comes out. It is a hard bump. My lip hurts when I touch the swollen area. No other symptoms. I have recently been on tylenol sinus and robitusson chest congestion and cough dm. I have a hx of depression and anxiety take wellbutrin.
Posted Thu, 5 Dec 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 30 minutes later
Brief Answer: Appears to be herpes Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome and thanks for posting your query to healthcare magic. After reading your query with diligence and thoroughly analyzing the picture I can make a primary diagnosis of Herpes labialis. There a can be a second possibility of insect bite hypersensitivity or a simple drug rash but but before I make a clear cut diagnosis I would like to ask some relevant informations: - Have you seen the swelling of lip and the pimple like thing appearing simultaneously or one after the other. If appeared one after the other then what thing appeared first and after how much gap. It would be better if you can elaborate the series of events in more detail. - Any history of mild fever or body ache or lassitude - any history of any drug consumption in last 3 days of any type. I can see in the close up view that there is mild fluid filled lesion on the left lower lip near the corner of the mouth. If that is present then can you upload one more picture of this area with good exposure and resolution. For that you have a feature to upload images by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your further queries. Or else, you can send as an attachment to YYYY@YYYY with the subject as "Attn: Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia). In the interim of the period kindly follow the suggestions below: - Do not touch the area at all. DO not at all try to unnecessarily fiddle with the area otherwise it can get more aggravated. DO not do any tye of massage or warm compression over the area. Let the area be left as it is for next 12 hours. This is sole most important part in reducing the swelling. -Take pain killer tablet containing paracetamol only 500 mg by mouth for 3 times a day for today. Hope these informations will help you. Regards. Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia MD (Dermatology)
Follow-up: Had swollen bottom lip. Noticed pimple on chin with clear liquid. Was on tylenol. What could it be? 4 hours later
The pimple thing and swelling both appeared over night. No fever or body ache. I have taken Wellbutrin, tylenol sinus, and robitusson chest congestion and cough in the last 3 days. The fluid filled lesion is what I thought was a pimple. I attached a picture of what it looked like this morning.
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 5 hours later
Brief Answer: It is herpes- take antiviral tablets Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome again to the forum. Thanks for sending the relevant details as well the most useful of all the good resolution picture which clears all of our confusions. The recently posted picture is clear image of herpes lesions. You can make out very small fluid filled vesicles in the periphery of the lower lip region and in the center you have scratched it a bit. Herpes is a viral infection which is one of the most common type of viral infection which can occur especially during cold or with any inter-current illness. If it has occurred for the first time then it would be best to take an antiviral tablet. IN my opinion the best one is Famciclovir or Valaciclovir. Though acyclovir is one of the most commonly prescribed drug but I have seen better results with the previous two. As advised previously do not try to even touch the area s can lead to secondary infection and pigmentation. It would remain active for next 3-5 days and then will form a scab. This scab will fall off in next 7-10 days. Avoid close contact if you are sexually active till the time a scab falls off. Do not worry it is a simple condition and never cause any big problem. Hope these informations will help you. Regards. Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia MD (Dermatology)