Had surgery, radiation and chemotherapy but cancer returns. What questions should I ask a sarcoma specialist?

Hello, I have had surgery,radiation, and chemotherapy and my cancer keeps coming back on and off and on again. I am getting ready to see a sarcoma specialist, What questions should I ask?
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 9 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some good information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

Sarcoma is a very difficult cancer to treat and a comprehensive evaluation of your case will be necessary. If you could provide me with some information I can perhaps give you some good advice. I would like to know the date of your initial diagnosis. I would also like to know any other information from imaging studies regarding the extent of the disease. I would like to know if the disease was located anywhere else in the head or neck or chest.

Also I would like to know how much radiation you received for the sarcoma to date. In addition I would like to know each chemotherapy regimen which you were treated with and what dates you were given these treatments. There are some clinical trials which are currently active which you might qualify for.

Again sarcoma can be a very difficult disease to treat. I want you to continue to maintain good hope that your oncologist would be able to put together a plan of action to help control the disease.

I also am aware that you are very likely dealing with a significant degree of stress and anxiety related to this and I will do my best to provide you with some good information so that you feel well informed. I await the additional information from you as I have requested. If you have any additional concerns please share them with me.

Dr. Robert