Had surgery for double hernia. Having pain in abdomen, groin area and hips. Any thoughts?

General Surgeon
I have Been having lower abdominal pain, groin pain (at times) and pain in both hips. Had a CT scan and was told I had a double hernia (stomach wall) which I had surgery to repair 6 months ago. I still have the same pain. I have had this now for a couple years. Pain in left hip / inner thigh the worst. Any thoughts?

Email is YYYY@YYYY
Posted Sun, 18 Nov 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 27 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Abdominal wall hernia does not give such symptoms. In most cases abdominal hernia gives no symptoms or sometimes gives abdominal pain (usually when gets stuck).
My question is have you had urine analysis? Such symptoms can be caused by urinary tract stones. For stones pain radiating to the groin is very characteristic. Such pain appears suddenly and goes away suddenly as well. Frequent urinating or burning when urinating also appears.
If you had abdominal hernia it is also possible that you can have inguinal hernia as well. So my another question is, have you been diagnosed for such hernia (usually groin ultrasound is performed, ct can show nothing)?
Such pains can be also caused by spine diseases. Does your pain appears when standing for some time or bending something? Des your pain appears when sitting for long time?

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Follow-up: Had surgery for double hernia. Having pain in abdomen, groin area and hips. Any thoughts? 3 hours later
Prior to the CT scan I had a urine test and many many blood tests. That was about a year and a Hal ago. As stated I have ha the lower abdominal and groin pain for about 2-3 years now. No ultrasound just a CT scan. The hip discomfort has developed over the last year, the other pain I had much longer. I was curious if arthritis can cause such pain? I have my annual physical in January and planned on brining this up then. My abdominal pain is much more noticeable siting versus standing, same or the groin pain. No discomfort urinating nor unusual amount of urination.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 18 hours later

Thank you for the query.

So urinary tract infection/stones can be ruled out. Inguinal hernia is most probable. Hernia is not a local disease. It is a soft tissues disease (collagen defect) of every place in the body. As you had abdominal hernia, it is possible that you can have inguinal hernia as well. I suggest you to have groin ultrasound.
Arthritis can cause pain in the area where the joints are. As there is no joints in abdominal cavity, such symptoms can not be caused by it. Only the hip discomfort can be caused by arthritis. Such pain can be also caused by spine nerves compression or sciatic nerve compression. But this nerves related pains can not be located in the abdominal cavity.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.