Had stroke. On dilaudid. Having diarrhea and sweating problem. Side effect of medicine?

I had a stroke 3.5 wks ago and have been on oral Dilaudid 2mg while in the hospital. The doctor has me tapering from every 3hrs to every 6 hrs for two days then every 8hrs and now every 12hrs. I am still in a lot of pain due to therapy and now have been sweating and having diarrhea between doses. Am i withdrawing??
Posted Fri, 29 Mar 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 18 minutes later
Hi and thanks for the query,
The effects you are describing are classically the side effects of Dilaudid. I suggest you visit the emergency room, so they can inject another potent analgesic to you, as you wait on your treating physician to prescribe an alternative drug.
If otherwise, you get another potent drug in the class of morphines too like Tramadol or paracetamol + Caffeine association, as you wait to see your treating physician to switch Dilaudid to another alternative.
You need to stop the drug, and drink much water and fluids if possible.
Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.