Had stopped period, advised to take Vitamin B12 and periods are back. Related?

I am a 57 year old female. I stopped have a monthly period 4 years ago. Recently my family doctor recommended that I begin taking vitamin B12 daily. I began taking it one month ago, and was very surprised when I experienced a period. Was wondering if the vitamin B12 had anything to do with this?
Posted Sun, 15 Sep 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Vitamin B12 supplement will not cause bleeding.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
The post menopausal bleeding that you had is not related to the vitamin B12 supplementation that you have started recently.
1. You need a visit to your Gynecologist and have an examination
2. During this exam they may need to perform an endometrial biopsy
3. You then need an ultrasound to look at the ovaries and the endometrial lining

If the biopsy is normal and the 'lining' of the uterus is 4mm or less, then there is absolutely no need to worry.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.