Had spinal surgery done. Have swelling on ankle and stomach. What cure should be done?

I have Swelling of my ankles and Stomach, which won't go feels really huge, and my clothes won't fit.
I was put on Fumill by a Dr who came to my house,.. but my original Dr at med Centre told me to go off it, as he thought it might do more harm.. He hasn't given me anything else to help the problem..
( I'm in a wheelchair after having had 3 Spinal surgeries , the last failed,in 2002 ),
So I'm going back to see him after weekend and ?? what to do..?
Do you have any ideas please?..
Posted Mon, 11 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 2 hours later

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

Ankle swelling of ankles and abdominal distension can be associated with multiple clinical conditions. They occur in various heart conditions, Kidney disorders, liver problems, anemia, hypoproteinemia, etc. I will need further details to answer your questions.

1. Do you have any cough, palpitations, chest pain, breathlessness etc? Do you have any difficulty lying down?
2. Is there any history of decreased urine frequency, red coloration of urine, puffiness around eyes etc?
3. Does your tongue and palms look pale?
4. What is your blood pressure like.

Awaiting your response.

Follow-up: Had spinal surgery done. Have swelling on ankle and stomach. What cure should be done? 48 minutes later
1.. I haven't any Heart Palpitations, No Cough, No Chest pains , or Breathlessness..

2 I don't recall any decreased urine frequency, or urine coloration, I don't think I have puffiness around my eyes..

3 My tongue is the usual pink as well as my palms..

I don't know what my Bloodpressure was but I think it must have been ok when the Nurse took it on Thurday..

I still have a pain around the tummy area, not extreme but enough to be annoying..
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 23 minutes later

You are not having complaints which suggest and give a clue to the common causes of swelling at ankles and stomach swelling.

Some swelling of ankles can be explained because of your confinement to wheel chair. But the stomach swelling cannot be explained by the same.

Now you should undergo a detailed examination by a physician followed by investigations like abdominal ultrasound, urine investigations, Renal function tests, Liver function tests, ECG, Echo cardiogram etc. depending on the examination findings.

Only a proper examination followed by investigations can give the proper diagnosis. Accordingly the treatment can be started.

Hope I had been able to help you. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Follow-up: Had spinal surgery done. Have swelling on ankle and stomach. What cure should be done? 1 hour later
My GP has written a letter to someone at the Hospital asking me to have a Rectal Examination..

I had some bleeding from that area last weekend,
and when he did a physical examination at his office he said he felt something up there, and ordered me to have a more comprehensive Exam..

I think it's probably ONE of the answers, maybe, so I guess I'll have to wait to see him on Monday to see if he will give me something to clear away the fluid in my body..

Thank you so much for your help anyway..
It was nice to know you were there :-)
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 7 minutes later

Thanks for writing once again.

Hope the physical examination on Monday along with investigations will help in a diagnosis.

Please update me of the same if possible.

I pray God for your good health.