Had spinach salad had stomach cramping and vomiting. Advise?

General Surgeon
I ate spinach salad last night about 20 hours ago. I had stomach cramping before I left the restaurant. vomited about 8 hours later. vomiting again 20 hours after eating.
Posted Mon, 26 Aug 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 24 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

This sounds like a food poisoning. Most of such symptoms are caused by bacterial or viral infection. Usually it is self-limiting condition which does not need medical attention. You may also have diarrhea, fever, weakness.
There is no need to visit doctor right now. Please do not eat for 12 hours, have only liquids. Warm tea and mineral water should be fine. After 12 hours, if the symptoms will go away, you should start with mild diet and probiotic supplementation (like BRAT diet - banana, rice, XXXXXXX sauce, toast). If the symptoms wont come back, you can start your regular diet than.

However if the symptoms will be present for longer than 48 hours or blood in stool will appear, high fever, you should consult your doctor.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.