Had sore throat and having loss of voice. Have encrypted tonsils and swollen. Throat is red. Is it throat cancer?

I have had a sore throat for over a month. It started with loss of voice for a week then it came back but my theoat is still sore. Ita my upper throat tonsil area. I have encrypted tonsils and they are swollen a little and my throat is red. I did see my doctor and she didnt seem to concern. She did refer me to an ent which i need in a week. My main concern is throat caner- what could be this cause?
I am 29 years old non smoker if that helps-
All blood work recently done has been normal.
Feels like my throat/tonsils are raw/ it does go from side to side also-
Thank you on advance! (Very worried here)
Posted Tue, 29 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Infections,allergic reactions,nutrient deficiency

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome.

Thank you for writing in.

It appears as though you could be suffering from a recurrent upper respiratory tract condition. Apart from the very basic symptoms, you do not seem to be exhibiting any symptoms that indicate a chance of throat cancer. So in my opinion, this would be unlikely, but would still have to be ruled out.

There can be many causes for such a presentation, but I would list allergic reactions, nutrient deficiencies and infections to be some of the most likely; among many others. To find the cause, I would advice you to request your ENT doctor to conduct a throat swab test or even a tissue biopsy (only if recommended, based on physical examination). This will provide information on whether or not it could be cancer, an infection or so on, this will surely help. Do not worry, I am sure this is something simple, and once diagnosed, will surely be cured permanently.

Wishing you lots of luck. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help.

Take care and god bless.
Follow-up: Had sore throat and having loss of voice. Have encrypted tonsils and swollen. Throat is red. Is it throat cancer? 6 minutes later

Thabk you for the response- what other factors would one think to be throat cancer. Anytime i google symptoms of course cancer appears
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Symptoms listed below; investigations best

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again.

Thank you for appreciating my response.

Symptoms experienced by you could be related to any and all conditions of the throat. For your satisfaction I shall list all the other symptoms of throat cancer as well, but do understand that even these symptoms can be similar to a few other non-cancerous conditions of the throat which is why only a physical examination and tissue biopsy are considered most conclusive.

Other symptoms include:
-Sensation of something in throat
-Blood from throat
-Blood seen in sputum
-Foul smell from mouth
-Palpable or visible lump in throat
-Pain in throat radiating to head and/or ear
-Difficulty in breathing
-Difficult in swallowing
-Difficulty in speech

I am sure a visit to a doctor will help clear all your doubts. Please do schedule an appointment with a doctor. I hope you found my response helpful and also hope this is nothing serious. Do write back to me for any further details, I would be more than happy to help.

God bless.