Had small tear in frenulum. Noticed bleeding after intercourse. Burning sensation when pulling foreskin. Would mupirocin help?

Question
My boyfriend states that his frenulum has a small tear for a few months already. He never told me about it. Until a couple weeks ago when we had intercorse he bled a little bit. He also told me when he showers and pulls the foreskin that he feels burning due to the tear. I work with doctors, and I told them about it an they Rx him mupirocin ointment. Would that help him heal the tear?
I hope u can help us .
Posted Sun, 17 Nov 2013 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
If cause is infection, mupirocin will help

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

Mupirocin is a medication used to treat skin infections and keep the region clean. It appears as though the doctor has found an infection or is trying to prevent one, due to the open and exposed wound. Mupirocin will certainly help in treating and/or preventing infections, so if this is the cause for the tear, then it will surely heal.

I hope this information helps you. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications or information, I would be more than happy to help. During this recovery period, please avoid sexual contact of all forms.

God bless.

Follow-up: Had small tear in frenulum. Noticed bleeding after intercourse. Burning sensation when pulling foreskin. Would mupirocin help? 1 hour later
So mupirocin will help on helping the tear to close?

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It will prevent infections; healing is natural

Detailed Answer:
Hi once again.

Mupirocin will help to heal and close the tear if it was caused by an infection and also prevent infections. As for the tear, it should heal on its own ma'am, the only thing we have to do right now is to prevent infections, and to prevent further injury or irritation to the region of the tear.

I hope I have explained this well enough ma'am. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you.

Best wishes.

Follow-up: Had small tear in frenulum. Noticed bleeding after intercourse. Burning sensation when pulling foreskin. Would mupirocin help? 33 hours later
If it dosnt end up healing by itself would he require stiches ? Even tho the tear is very small? He says he feels soreness on the frenulum when he pulls the foreskin to wash it or to apply the oinment is that part of the process?
Thank u doctor

Brief Answer:
Will heal; normal process

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again ma'am.

It will most probably heal on its own. In most cases no stirches have been required, and as described by you, the tear is small and so, it will heal on its own.

As for the pain and soreness he is experiencing, this is normal and yes, it is part of the process ma'am. Remember to ask him to keep his genitals clean and dry, apply the ointment as prescribed and avoid sexual contact with you and also avoid masturbation. Wear loose and comfortable undergarments, preferably cotton.

Please feel free to write to me about anything, and you need not thank me ma'am, all I want to do is help. Your boyfriends complete recovery would be thanks enough for me.

Best wishes.