Had shoulder replacement done. Toe started getting tender after pedicure. Should I be worried?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I had a pedicure 3 days ago. My middle toe has been progressively getting more tender. I woke up in the middle of the night with sharp pain. My concern is not so much my toe but I had a shoulder replacement 1 1/2 years ago. Should I be worried about this getting infected? I take Doxy when I go to dentist prophylactically. I took 600 of motrin and toe feels a bit better. it is red and swollen, not hot to touch. no fever/chills
Posted Thu, 25 Oct 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later
Yes , progressive tenderness and pain of the toe after a history of pedicure can be a sign of an underlying injury or infection.
Though you do not have any fever , pus discharge or open wound visible on the part which are more suggestive features of an infection , there is a certainly a risk since redness and swelling are seen and you should not wait further for such symptoms to develop .
It's advisable you consult your doctor as soon as feasible for confirmation of daignosis by local examination and if needed X-rays . If there is any evidence of infection a course of antibiotics would be prescribed by him.
Doxycycline is a broad spectrum antibiotic however in bony or cephalosporin or penicillin group of antibiotics might be preferred.
As of now the Motrin might temporarily relieve the pain but it might recur and if it does worsen its best to get it treated soon.
Hope I have answered your query .
Kindly accept my answer in case you have no further queries.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.