Had sexual intercourse after 7 weeks post laparoscopy hysterectomy. Having pain and pinkish fluid discharge. What to do?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2013
Mar 2013
Question
I am 7 weeks post-op - have now had sexual intercourse and immediately after am experiencing great pain and drizzling pinkish fluid - just concerned.
Posted Sun, 23 Jun 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 9 minutes later
Hello
Could you please provide a few details.
The exact nature of surgery, the indication, the per operative and post operative findings, the post operative course so far etc.
Those details would help me to assist you better.
Looking forward to hearing from you .

Follow-up: Had sexual intercourse after 7 weeks post laparoscopy hysterectomy. Having pain and pinkish fluid discharge. What to do? 3 hours later
As per your responding message - here are more details.

I under went a laparoscopy hysterectomy (April 15) removed through the vaginal canal - uterus,cervix, fallopian tubes removed - kept ovaries - Doctor said the surgery went well - reason for surgery - 10 fibroids causing pain - lots of menstrual bleeding - surgeon indicated after surgery that there was a small amount of endometriosis - I have been fortunate that I was able to lay low for the past 6 weeks - lots of rest- my post op 6 week check up was last week - there was just a verbal check up - meaning there was no physical inspection of any incisions - my surgeon told me that I could go ahead and resume life and intercourse with my husband. That took place today - and I have been in pain - have reddish-pinkish liquid discharging - abdomen swollen and hard now - still had pain medication left over so that is helping but I truly feel like I did right after surgery - I experienced a great amount of pain in my lower left abdomen right after surgery which made them keep my in the hospital for 3 more days after the surgery rather than to be sent home the next day. An ultrasound did not indicate any thing abnormal so they treated me with pain medication - within a week - I could manage the pain on my own which soon changed to discomfort and that too subsided recently - I have been feeling great - I am concerned about the pain that I am experiencing and am hoping that our intercourse did not damage anything. We were very careful and gentle - post op pathology report refers to a macroscopic description and that the case is grossed according to the protocol for Sectioning and extensively examining the FIMbriated end of the fallopian tube - my surgeon said that there were no concerns. It feels like someone has punched my in the gut - I have been buckled over for the past several hours.

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 hours later
Thanks.
That was a very intelligent summing up.
I think you should visit your doctor at the earliest.
It seems as though you have had a bad flare up of endometriosis, which is sometimes seen after sexual activity.
Also, I am concerned that there should be no XXXXXXX damage or disruption of the stitches.
Please visit your doctor as the type and severity of pain that you describe is just not normal for 7 weeks post op, which is a reasonable time frame to resume intercourse.

Follow-up: Had sexual intercourse after 7 weeks post laparoscopy hysterectomy. Having pain and pinkish fluid discharge. What to do? 13 hours later
I have now read your response - thank you - the medication to alleviate the pain has made me fall asleep - delaying me in reviewing your answer - I have called the office of my surgeon and she explained that if I did not have a fever and continuous bleeding that everything should be ok. I do not have fever - I am still am experiencing pain - I cannot even walk around. The reddish/pinkish discharge has now subsided. I basically have been lying down since this started. My doctor does not seem to be concerned - I on the other hand am a little confused - do not want 'rush' to the doctor if this is just a case of further healing that will take time but I do not think this is normal after 7 weeks. What could be the site of pain now ?? I know it is difficult for you to answer as I am not your patient

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 39 minutes later
Hi dear
I appreciate the fact that you realize that without examining you in person, it is extremely difficult to say anything specific about the site of pain.
In general, now by 7 weeks post op , you should just be feeling mild discomfort vaguely in the lower abdomen and suprapubic region.
I repeat that the amount of pain you describe is not normal, unless it is psychological, which I doubt, as you are perceptive enough to realize if that was the case.
The pinkish discharge did not concern me initially too, it is within the range of " normal ', however the pain definitely is not.
The doctor has to be concerned, as the pain has still not subsided.
Please visit .