Had scoliosis since childhood that causes aches and pain. Had slept wrong and developed neck and back pain

I am 31 yrs old female. I have had a slight scoliosis since childhood that causes aches and pains in my upper to mid back. 2 months ago, i slept wrong on a couch and hurt my spine near my neck and all the muscles around my neck tightened. I thought i would eventually heal but I have not. In addition to that, about a month ago, I carried a few heavy boxes, and my lower back has been hurting ever since. Prior to that, I never have had pain in my lower back. Shortly after lifting those boxes, my left buttock has been aching and in severe pain. When I touch the buttock a feel a few hard knots in my glute muscle. I have been seeing a chiropractor for about a week now. I have no health insurance and wonder if what i am experiencing is something serious or not?
Posted Tue, 24 Sep 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Muscle sprains, bursitis

Detailed Answer:
Dear patient,

thanks for your health concerns. By the description of the inciting events and location of complaints, it sounds that you may have strained several muscle groups (neck, lower back and glutes) and you have not recovered yet. Many times, a muscle strain or sprain creates an inflammatory reaction that takes time to heal and at times a short course of an antiinflammatory medication such as naproxen, for 5-7 days scheduled. Unclear about the symptoms in the buttocks (don't have a picture and can't examine manually), maybe a bursitis (inflammation of a little pouch between the muscles).

I would try the antiinflammatories first, ice compresses 3 times a day in the affected areas and hydrotherapy (such as jacuzzi, or sauna); if the symptoms fail to resolve then it may be prudent to visit a provider.

Yours truly,

Yours truly,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN