Had red mark on penis head. Blood test for virus negative. Herpes?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Dec 2013
Dec 2013
Excellent

Dermatologist
Question
Hello, i had a red mark on my penis head and would like to know if it is herpes. i had blood test for the virus twice this year both with negative results but still unsure. i can always remember this darker/redish area on my penis. it never blisters or pusses or scabs, but at times can be a little itchy. i have attaced a picture. thanks
Posted Mon, 14 Oct 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Do not worry it is not herpes.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for posting your to XXXXXXX

I can understand your concern for the possibility of herpes.

According to your query you have red mark on my penis head since long time. I have thoroughly seen the picture sent by you.

Now to tell you the best part is that you do not have herpes or any of the symptoms which match with herpes or its symptoms or any other Sexually Transmitted Diseases.

To tell you medically - Herpes lesions manifest itself as small vesicles (fluid filled blisters) which remains for just a day or two and then forms ulcers which are quite painful. These ulcers then heals in next 5-7 days.

To begin with also these vesicles are quite painful and itchy with discomfort and once the vesicles burst in a day or two then the ulcers which are formed are quite painful for next 4-5 days. So the symptoms can never go unnoticed.
In yourself I can make out that no such symptom is present matching with the above symptoms.

So you can rest assured regarding the rarest possibility of herpes.

Now the symptoms of redness- to me it appears to be a "fixed drug eruption" also known as FDE. It occurs because of allergy to a particular drug which whenever consumed causes redness over the same area. The pigmentation and redness can persist for a long time.

I suggest you to kindly check for any kind of medicine such as painkillers or any biotic if you are taking. XXXXXXX a dermatologist who can see for the FDE on a better side.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any further query I will be happy to help.
Wish you good health
with regards,
Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
(MD - Skin & Sexually Transmitted Diseases)

Follow-up: Had red mark on penis head. Blood test for virus negative. Herpes? 5 hours later
thank you for the reply.

what i have actually noticed this morning is that on my foreskin (which does not easily pull back) are little cuts (look like paper cuts) on the skin. this area is redish and causing the ithcy sensation.

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
apply cream containing Fluticasone and mupirocin

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to the forum again.

Now according to your latest query there are little cuts on the skin. As per the present status it appears to be mild secondary infection at the local area. I can see in the picture that you appear to be uncircumcised male. In uncircumcised males, whenever there is slight change in the normal environment of the local area the penile skin gets sensitive and may get infected by the normal bacterial flora as well fungi of the penile area. It leads to minor abrasions which appears as cuts on the local area.

For the prevention of the same, gently wash the area with plane water and soap for two to three times a day. You can apply cream containing Fluticasone and mupirocin in a very thin layer so that it should not be visible to the naked eye. If you are not getting relief then can XXXXXXX dermatologist for proper antibiotic course.

Lastly I again reassure you that your condition is not at all any Sexually Transmitted Disease and can be managed by simple treatment.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any further query I will be happy to help or if you do not then can close the discussion and rate the answer.
Wish you good health

with regards,
Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia