Had rash on neck and arms like hives. Hands tingling and tight, have ulcerative colitis. Taking ascol, lorazepam

I have had a rash on neck and arms that acts like hives, ( meaning it comes and goes). The rash has been around for couple of weeks. Now I have times that my hands feel tingling and tight, palms almost hurt and sensitive to hot water, during the day it gets intense and the calms down. I also have ulcritive colitis too, and just recently got over flare up, not sure it is related. And yes, the stress for work has been very high, with very long days. Also lymph nodes in neck have been swollen for couple of weeks. If you put witch XXXXXXX on rash it will calm down for a little while so will baby power.the rash is more intense when I get stressed or hot. I am taking Ascol for the UC, Wellbutrin for depression lorazepam for sleep iron for the anemia vitamins b complex, e, and fish oil.
Posted Sun, 26 May 2013 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 1 hour later
Dear friend, welcome to Healthcaremagic!
I am Dr. Prasad Akole (Critical Care Expert- and am glad to address to your query here.

A well described query !!

As you have a skin rash associated with a flare of the UC (Ulcerative Colitis), it is most likely the manifestation of the disease itself.
Skin manifestations of inflammatory rashes (like erythema nodosum or pyoderma) occur in 2-4 % patients with ulcerative colitis.
Treatment is of the underlying condition and flare itself.

Other possibilities are the skin rash of underlying auto-immune disorders, drug rash due to mesalamine (Asacol) etc.

I would advise you to seek advice of your treating doctor, get lab evaluation, discuss these possibilities.

If thought to be the disease related rash, treatment of the flare would treat the rash too.
If it is a drug rash, replacing mesalamine would be considered.
Please rule out any auto-immune disorder.
A skin specialist’s opinion would be helpful.

I hope to have answered your query satisfactorily. I would be glad to answer any further queries. Take care and please keep me informed of your progress at
Good Luck!

As it helps us to improve continuously, may I request you to write a rating review before you ‘accept’ and ‘close’ the query.
Thank you!!